Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
i just finished installing El Cap on my HP Powerbook ProBook 440 G3

Bildschirmfoto 2016-04-06 um 00.06.06.jpg

It has an Intel i5 6200U and a HD520. I followed these instructions
[http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html]

EDIT: and I used "config_HD520_530_540.plist"

After the first reboot (step 3) my Notebook gave me a message that my mainboard battery is empty and it will reset the BIOS settings (which is awkward btw since the Notebook is brand new), what gave me an almost heart attack LOL but I could continue installing anyways. After the first boot I turned it off for a while and turned it back on, I noticed the Apple Logo glitch (which doesn't bother me) but for some strange reason my menubar at the top started glitching. I just went into my bios and set my graphics card memory to 128 MB and its working fine for now. I will keep an eye on that tho.

I got two questions tho: I followed the above mentioned instructions but I'm stuck at this

Post Installation

10. At this point, you are ready for "Post Installation", you first step should be to install the Clover bootloader to your HDD. Installing Clover to your HDD is very similar to installing to the USB installer. See post #1 for details.

11. After installing the bootloader, you should take an inventory of things working and not working. Typically, at this point you will have:

Do I have to install the Clover boot loader which I installed on the Boot Stick on this hackintosh HDD?
And of course I would like to continue installing the kexts for my system. At this point I don't even know what is working and what not ( except for USB; it is working fine)

And btw. my System won't boot unless I have the USB Boot Stick plugged in - is there a guide on how to change that? So that the OS X automatically boots on Power up (note: I have no other OS installed on this notebook)

Skylake Intel HD 530 Integrated Graphics Working as of 10.11.4

Do I have to install the Clover boot loader which I installed on the Boot Stick on this hackintosh HDD?
And of course I would like to continue installing the kexts for my system. At this point I don't even know what is working and what not ( except for USB; it is working fine)

And btw. my System won't boot unless I have the USB Boot Stick plugged in - is there a guide on how to change that? So that the OS X automatically boots on Power up (note: I have no other OS installed on this notebook)

Not a desktop. Moved to laptop support.

No expectation of booting from the HDD without installing Clover to the HDD.

I assume you meant "ProBook" not "PowerBook" so I changed the title appropriately.

Now would be a good time to see how similar this laptop is to other HP ProBooks:

As here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...zbook-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch-10-11-a.html, "Unsupported laptops"

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

Also, if you could collect an audio codec dump from Linux, that would be great... Collecting an audio codec dump from Linux is the first step in any AppleHDA patching guide. See FAQ for links.

No expectation of booting from the HDD without installing Clover to the HDD.

So I run the "Clover_v2.3k_r3389.pkg" I used for the USB but install it on the HDD of the Hackintosh? Do I have to create some kind of partition before doing so or just run it? Do I select the same settings from the guide I used for the stick and finally, if the Clover_v2.3k_r3389.pkg installer is done, will I have to copy the EFI/Clover/config.plist as well as the kexts I used on the stick somewhere on my HDD?

I assume you meant "ProBook" not "PowerBook" so I changed the title appropriately.

Sorry my bad, you are absolutley right. It is a ProBook 440 G3

Now would be a good time to see how similar this laptop is to other HP ProBooks:

As here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...zbook-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch-10-11-a.html, "Unsupported laptops"

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

Also, if you could collect an audio codec dump from Linux, that would be great... Collecting an audio codec dump from Linux is the first step in any AppleHDA patching guide. See FAQ for links.

I will do as you said and post everything. Thank you & sorry for posting inside a Desktop Thread

So I run the "Clover_v2.3k_r3389.pkg" I used for the USB but install it on the HDD of the Hackintosh? Do I have to create some kind of partition before doing so or just run it? Do I select the same settings from the guide I used for the stick and finally, if the Clover_v2.3k_r3389.pkg installer is done, will I have to copy the EFI/Clover/config.plist as well as the kexts I used on the stick somewhere on my HDD?

It is covered in the guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

I will do as you said and post everything. Thank you & sorry for posting inside a Desktop Thread

It will be interesting how many details carry over from the older ProBook series...

Found it !

Notes on HDD install:
- you might want "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi", but it would depend on whether native NVRAM works for you
- select "Install RC scripts on target volume" and/or "Install all RC scripts on all other boot volumes", but not for USB
- selecting "Install Clover Preference Pane" is optional
- there are also some "Optional RC Scripts" you might want to read about

I think I did everything as you have said, please take a look @ the attachments

I also installed Clover_v2.3k_r3389 to my HDD and selected:
"Install RC scripts on target volume"
"Install Clover Preference Pane"
Boot loader was left like it was (no update for MBR and PBR)
Clover EFI was left like it was (CloverEFI 64Bit SATA)

I didn't add any "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi" nor Optional RC scripts.
I just recognized that on my Macintosh HD a Folder EFI and a folder EFI-Backups were created as well as a File named "boot". I didn't add any config.plist to the mentioned EFI's CLOVER folder nor did I add any kext's to the kexts/other Folder ( like I did for the stick) do I have to do that? the Guide is not very clear about this but since my Laptop still won't boot unless the stick is inside I guess I missed something?!

EDIT:
conexant.png

since my codec_dump looked kind of strange to me, for mentioning HDMI instead of some kind of Audio device, I ran this little app and it gave me this output: Conexant ... :think: I gotta funny feeling about this conexant audio device

EDIT2 - 08.04.2016 : Since I was using a Ubuntu 15.10 Live USB Stick to create the dumps the Ubuntu OS, I had no Audio in Ubuntu and it only kept showing me the HDMI Device. So I made a new Live USB Stick, this time using Ubuntu 16.04 Beta2 and thankfully this version was able to show me my Audio Device as well as produce Audio Output.

So I have added the new codec_dump Audio Device.txt to this Post and deleted the HDMI dump since it was the wrong one. The Audio Device is a Conexant CX20724

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 194
  • IOREG.zip
    389.5 KB · Views: 142
  • lspci_dump.log
    1.4 KB · Views: 287
  • codec_dump Audio Device.txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
I think I did everything as you have said, please take a look @ the attachments

I also installed Clover_v2.3k_r3389 to my HDD and selected:
"Install RC scripts on target volume"
"Install Clover Preference Pane"
Boot loader was left like it was (no update for MBR and PBR)
Clover EFI was left like it was (CloverEFI 64Bit SATA)

I didn't add any "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi" nor Optional RC scripts.
I just recognized that on my Macintosh HD a Folder EFI and a folder EFI-Backups were created as well as a File named "boot". I didn't add any config.plist to the mentioned EFI's CLOVER folder nor did I add any kext's to the kexts/other Folder ( like I did for the stick) do I have to do that? the Guide is not very clear about this but since my Laptop still won't boot unless the stick is inside I guess I missed something?!

Did you install Clover to the ESP as per guide?
Are you using Clover legacy or Clover UEFI?

since my codec_dump looked kind of strange to me, for mentioning HDMI instead of some kind of Audio device, I ran this little app and it gave me this output: Conexant ... :think: I gotta funny feeling about this conexant audio device

You obtained the wrong codec dump.

I'm using Clover UEFI.

No I didn't check these three for the HDD install
- check "Install for UEFI booting only", "Install Clover in the ESP" will automatically select
- check "Bluemac" from Themes (the config.plist files I provide use this theme)
- check "OsxAptioFixDrv-64" from Drivers64UEFI

my stupid ass thought these options are for USB only.
Is it possible to run the installer over again? shall I also copy the kexts and config.plist?

The wrong codec dump.. hmm I ran
Code:
cat [COLOR=#666600]/[/COLOR]proc[COLOR=#666600]/[/COLOR]asound[COLOR=#666600]/[/COLOR]card0[COLOR=#666600]/[/COLOR]codec[COLOR=#880000]#0 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt
[/COLOR]I also ran codec#1 and 2,3,4,5,6 I tried 9 plus 0 but only 2 gave me a dump, which is the one I uploaded.

i just googled and came across a couple of postings inside a ubuntu board. As it seems of right now there is no support for this audio device on ubuntu OS [as well as other unix OS].
The users managed a workaround to get sound, but I would have to write some file to the system and it implies a reboot which is not possible for me since I am running a Live version.
The audio device is called Conexant CX7501 EDIT (after getting the dump): Conexant CX20724

anyways I could install audio later I guess.. or maybe try out to use other Conexant Device drivers?

Last edited:
i just googled and came across a couple of postings inside a ubuntu board. As it seems of right now there is no support for this audio device on ubuntu OS [as well as other unix OS].
The users managed a workaround to get sound, but I would have to write some file to the system and it implies a reboot which is not possible for me since I am running a Live version.
The audio device is called Conexant CX7501

anyways I could install audio later I guess.. or maybe try out to use other Conexant Device drivers?

You can also check in Windows Device Manager to see codec information.

Some newer onboard audio devices are using I2C, which might not be supported by Linux (and not supported by OS X). Check BIOS for an option to switch to HDA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back