Contribute
Register

HP Pavilion DV7-6B32US updated with Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HP Pavilion DV7-6B32US updated with Progress finally.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to attach that file, but here it is anyways. Hope I don't get in trouble.

I haven't been able to get IORegistryExplorer to even show the Broadcom 4314 wifi card.
I'm not sure if it is a DSDT problem. At this point, if the card is not even showing up, I am afraid that the PCIe port it is attached to has a DSDT problem and that replacing the card with another card will not help?

How far have you gotten?

Attachments

• mach_kernel_10.7.2.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 187

Bad news, it seems like the Wifi card (Brcm 4313 14e4:4727) does not work with Lion. I have scoured various boards looking for a solution. So at this point there are only 2 options:
1. try this bios-mod to remove the wifi whitelist from bios and replace with a Lion compatible card. I happend to have a Atheros AR9285 but unable to boot due to the whitelist in Bios.
2. wait for some update to Lion to recognize this card...

Seawind,
I don't have any suggestions for you, since I'm a noob myself. All I can suggest is that, even without a second hard drive, using a separate partition on the existing HD (the way you're doing), you should be able to use the unibeast method to install as well. Just follow my steps...
good luck.

Seawind, what bios do you have on your machine?
I think, you need F.01 for the unibeast to boot

Edit
Sorry for the mis-information on needing F01 bios, I just did an experiment using F02. It works fine to install using Unibeast.

Hi Stuck,

This is my first post after lurking and learning enough to be dangerous. First of all, thanks for all your work and postings! I bought a dv7 6b32US at Staples before Christmas and I've been following your progress on getting Lion to work. I ran into a few different issues than you did. I'm not sure why, my system is stock except I upgraded my memory to 8G and I put a second disk in the second drive bay so I could boot either Lion or Windows 7. Here's a few additional things that I ran into that others may hit:

1. When I booted my UniBeast install flash drive, the display would come up only displaying the left half of the screen. After some research, I went into the terminal and renamed my USB stick AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext files to AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext.save and AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext.save. I then went into Disk Utility and Repaired Disk permissions. After that, it would come up in 1024x768 mode and I could do the installation.

2. When rebooting after the the MultiBeast UserDSDT installation, I got boot errors when trying to boot from the disk. After some research, I booted off my install flash drive and did "dd' of the "/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h" file to my OSX disk partition device file which in my configuration, was "/dev/disk0s2". After this, it would boot OK.

I've built my DSTL.aml file with pretty much the same edits as yours and I'm using the lapic (Tapton) kernel. I can finally get my system to boot without having to use any boot options on the boot command line :)

Here's what works or doesn't work so far on my system:

Video: Working at 1600x900
TouchPad/Keyboard: Works after MultiBeast PS2 KBD/Trackpad kext installation
Wired Network: Works with MultiBeast Realtek Gigabit Ethernet kext installation
Sound: Kind of works (Volume only) with MultiBeast VooDooHDA 0.2.72 installation
USB: Works, but right side ports only
Sleep: Works, but I did get a kernel panic about 10 minutes after coming back from sleep (not sure if it's related of not)
Wireless: No go with the BCM4313 so far. I may resort to a USB wireless dongle

The system works well enough that I'm posting this reply on my dv7 6b32us running 10.7. The one thing that I crashed and burned on was to attempt to do a 10.7.2 combo update (from the install file, not online). After rebooting, it came up with "waiting for root device" errors. I couldn't even get it to boot using my USB stick and after many attempts to revive it, I had to do a fresh 10.7 install. I guess I'll wait a while before I try another 10.7.2 upgrade.

Anyway, thanks for all your hard work and posts, especially on the DST patching. I'll post again on any future progress that I have.

I've been away for few days... back to work and all.
It is nice to see other people installing Lion on this great cost-effective laptop. I also got this just before Christmas during the Staples deal.
I've updated the first post with a guide and an AIO patch.

when im on lion, i use voodoohda 2.7.3 and i get better performance, i also needed to use the volume change fix [or something like that] found in the kext's Info.plist

I am pretty much where you are on your dv7 but on my dv6 and i practically gave up on it. just too many annoyances that just make it a deal breaker

Hi guys,

I also got this laptop with the intent of making it a powerful hackintosh. I was just wondering, since I've seen you guys have gotten the sound to work with voodooHDA, I was wondering if the subwoofer works as well?

ninditsu said:
when im on lion, i use voodoohda 2.7.3 and i get better performance, i also needed to use the volume change fix [or something like that] found in the kext's Info.plist

I am pretty much where you are on your dv7 but on my dv6 and i practically gave up on it. just too many annoyances that just make it a deal breaker

Ninditsu,
Thanks for the hint...
I updated my guide on first post to use the fixed VoodooHDA.kext to enable volume, mute, half volume fix, etc... Were you able to get the AR9285 to work in Lion? If so do have any hints?

FeRReTTi,
I don't believe my subwoofer is working. VoodooHDA pref panel isn't allowing me to adjust bass or treble levels.
I'm sure some smart guy can give us a hint on how to get it to work.

Can someone with this laptop confirm whether your usb devices work when putting the computer to sleep?
ie. does a usb mouse or keyboard wake it up?
or if you have a USB HD plugged in. When you put it to sleep and wake it back up, does it throw errors saying you didn't properly eject the disk?

thanks

seawind said:
stuck, great job on the guide.

Do you need to install HP Probook Installer pkg mentioned in this thread you mentioned aft unibeast?

Thanks seawind,

Do not install that package for Probook. It won't work. That was the first thing I tried before figuring out what changes in DSDT we needed for our laptop.
the patch I posted for our DSDT is probably the minimal required. Feel free to experiment with other patches you find from Olarila. Just remember to save it with a different name in the /Extra folder; eg. dsdt2.aml, dsdt3.aml etc...
Then when booting, at chimera, use
DSDT=/Extra/dsdt2.aml or dsdt3.aml
etc. to boot using the alternative dsdt's

BTW, I just purchased this USB wireless N adapter, I hope it will work. I'll post back with the results. In the meantime I'm just using my android phone and easytether through USB.
What is everyone else doing for WiFi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back