Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> HP Compaq Elite 8100 CMT, High Sierra. No USB at all after install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what is wrong?
In order for the HP8100 to work with USB, you need to delete "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHPET.kext".
His EFI in your first post should recognize the USB (it worked on my HP8100CMT).

I haven't been able to resolve the phenomenon that USB stops working within a few minutes after booting with OpenCore 0.6.8 or later.
I'm currently using Clover r5142, but if you want to use his OpenCore, use OpenCore 0.6.7.

Now I got it!
Thank you very much, @Asural you have given me the key on how to get around the problem.
Thank you very much @trs96, @Edhawk, you gave me a correct EFI and clues to follow until I get it.

The key would be in AppleHPET.kext.
By blocking it, all USBs are working, from startup and after sleep.
I have not deleted "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHPET.kext"
I have locked in config.plist:
/ Kernel / Block /

<? xml version = "1.0" encoding = "UTF-8"?>
<! DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "- // Apple // DTD PLIST 1.0 // EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version = "1.0">
<array>
<dict>
<key> Arch </key>
<string> Any </string>
<key> Comment </key>
<string> Disable AppleHPET.kext </string>
<key> Enabled </key>
<true />
<key> Identifier </key>
<string> com.apple.driver.AppleHPET </string>
<key> MaxKernel </key>
<string> </string>
<key> MinKernel </key>
<string> </string>
</dict>
</array>
</plist>

KextBlock.png

And now the USBs work from the start, no freezes that I have noticed and also after resting.

USBWork.png

USB-HackTool.png

I don't know if it will be a very orthodox option, but since it is not my main computer I will be able to continue experimenting.
I think that with SSDTTime-master, maybe we could look for a suitable HPET option for this problem, but I don't have much knowledge to know it.

Now I have to solve the problem of making the system reboot.
Currently it does not restart, it freezes when restarting, I will continue testing things because I have pending the security update that requires restart and it could crash the system if it does not restart.

I repeat:
Thank you very much, @Asural, @trs96, @Edhawk.

I put here my current EFI. It needs cleaning of some patches and adds my own, like the one on the graph, but it could help other users.

Grets.
Santiago.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    15.6 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
The key would be in AppleHPET.kext.
By blocking it, all USBs are working, from startup and after sleep.
I have not deleted "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHPET.kext"
I have locked in config.plist:
@Santi, thank you very much!
Your response indicates that "OpenCore is continuously available on the HP8000/8100/8200".
(Unfortunately, I haven't successfully booted with OpenCore forms HP8000.)

Rebooting is a future issue with OpenCore, but it works fine with Clover.
I encourage you to try and compare both OpenCore/Clover.
I will continue to experiment with how to deal with his OpenCore.

For sound, Alcid = 17 is the dedicated ID, so it is recommended to change it.

Thank you very much @Asural.
I had headaches from the confusion that had formed.
This is a good computer, not my main computer, but bought cheap second hand. That is how I like to be able to tinker with it when my free time allows it.
In another time I will try with Opencore the restart, I think there may be solution here if I guess the paths in DSDT.aml https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/usb/misc/shutdown.html

I don't know if it would be:

Return (CRES) /* \_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.COM1.CRES */
Return (CRES) /* \_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.COM2.CRES */
Return (PUE1) /* \_SB_.PCI0.EUS1._PRW.PUE1 */
Return (PUE2) /* \_SB_.PCI0.EUS2._PRW.PUE2 */
...etc.

But the syntax I do not master.

On the sound device, I had problems with some version of AppleALC.kext, which lagged on startup until I found a different version of kext. Now I'll try the Alcid 17. Thanks.

And to block AppleHPET.kext otherwise withouth config.plist /Kernel/Block/... Alternatively maybe I could try the multiple options offered by SSDTTime-master:

#######################################################
# Select IRQs To Nullify #
#######################################################

Current Legacy IRQs:

- NCP: [13]
- PIC: [2]
- TIME: [0]
- RTC: [8]
- PS2M: [12]
- KBD: [1]
- ECP0: [7]
- LPT0: [7]
- COM1: [4]
- COM2: [3]
- APIC: [5, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 5, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 5, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 5, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 5, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 5, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 4, 3, 4, 3, 3, 5, 7, 10, 4, 5, 7, 10, 3, 5, 7, 10, 4, 5, 7, 10, 3, 4, 3, 4, 4, 7, 10, 3, 7, 10, 4, 7, 10, 3, 7, 10]

C. Only Conflicting IRQs from Legacy Devices (0,8,11 from IPIC/TMR/RTC)
O. Only Conflicting IRQs (0,8,11)
L. Legacy IRQs (from IPIC, TMR/TIMR, and RTC)

You can also type your own list of Devices and IRQs.
The format is DEV1:IRQ1,IRQ2 DEV2:IRQ3,IRQ4
You can omit the IRQ# to remove all from that device (DEV1: DEV2:1,2,3)
For example, to remove IRQ 0 from RTC, all from IPIC, and 8 and 11 from TMR:

RTC:0 IPIC: TMR:8,11

Please select an option (default is C):

Although I do not know if it would be correct or I am very wrong.
Greetings and thank you very much for everything.
Merry Christmas for all.
Santi.

Last edited:
Rebooting is a future issue with OpenCore, but it works fine with Clover.
I encourage you to try and compare both OpenCore/Clover.
I will continue to experiment with how to deal with his OpenCore.
@Santi
The HP8100CMT can now be rebooted and the installer started with the "config.plist Root-> ACPI-> Quirks-> FadtEnableReset = YES" setting.

Merry Christmas for you.
Asural

Last edited:
@Santi
The HP8100CMT can now be rebooted and the installer started with the "config.plist Root-> ACPI-> Quirks-> FadtEnableReset = YES" setting.

Wow! The restart works and updated the system.
When applying the updates I got a kernel panic starting after updating.
So I booted from USB using EFI Opencore which doesn't have AppleHPET.kext blocked.
Then it booted up to the boot screen without having kernel panic finishing update.
After that I rebooted from EFI with AppleHPET.kext blocked and started without kernel panic.

In the OpenCore guide I did not find definition for this Quirk you have given me.
This old computer works like an iMac from a few years ago.
Now I'm going to try if I get Dual Boot with Windows on another hard drive (BIOS Legacy). Maybe it's easy to apply Refind.
@Asural Thanks a lot.
Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
When applying the updates I got a kernel panic starting after updating.
So I booted from USB using EFI Opencore which doesn't have AppleHPET.kext blocked.
Then it booted up to the boot screen without having kernel panic finishing update.
After that I rebooted from EFI with AppleHPET.kext blocked and started without kernel panic.
I noticed when installing from USB, but it did not start unless I set "config.plist Root-> Kernel-> Emulate-> DummyPowerManagement = YES".
It's hard to decide what to do with the DummyPowerManagement settings after the update is complete, but he's currently testing with DummyPowerManagement = NO.

I will attach the EFI used for the USB installation test, so please modify prev-lang: kbd and Generic to your own and try it.

NOTE:
The keyboard and mouse become unresponsive on the restart request screen.
If you leave it quietly for about 4 seconds, it will restart automatically.

Attachments

• HP8100_SampleEFI.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back