Contribute
Register

HP 8300 Line-in mic input not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to be putting your hardware here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/personal-details instead. Then you can type in whatever you'd like in the Mobo section. It would be best to simply type in HP 8300 SFF or whatever you have. When you list the Intel Q77 board it leads folks like cmn699 to think you have the ALC 892 audio chip when it is actually ALC 221 instead. How can he be of help if he has inaccurate info ? Don't get upset about any of this. All newbies make mistakes, it's not a big deal by any means. We just want you to learn the process so that you can get help and have a working system.

Not upset, just frustrated. Trying my best here. I did look at the link you posted to get it working and it really seems to be a little above what my newbie self is quite ready for. I was only trying to make it work because I already have mics that use 3.5mm jack and would have preferred to use something I already own versus buying yet another piece of equipment when I need to be spending money elsewhere but at the risk of screwing something up, I think I will hold off for now.

On a good note, I extracted the 1TB HDD from my 2nd Gen Time Capsule and installed it in the HP for use with Time Machine backups and it is working! Already got it backed up so if anything does happen I can always restore from the back up!

Question while I have ya'll's attention, is there a way to make the Time Machine HDD available to the rest of my wifi network? I lost my Time Capsule due to a failed power supply, which I think I saw coming because it was acting very glitchy and having issues, so I don't have a backup drive for my MBP anymore.

Last edited:
If you want a quick and easy solution for using a 3.5mm Mic input. Get the 6 dollar USB audio adapter listed in post number one of my guide here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...orking-and-easily-affordable-customac.224812/ It's the Syba brand adapter you can get from Amazon. No drivers needed. You won't have to mess with DSDT editing or any such thing. As far as backups go, most hackintoshers will make a clone using CCC or Super Duper to restore from in case of problems. Time machine backups are good for recovering files but you really want a bootable clone of your system drive if a full recovery is necessary.

Not upset, just frustrated. Trying my best here. I did look at the link you posted to get it working and it retinal seems to be a little above what my newbie self is quite ready for. I was only trying to make it work because I already have mics that use 3.5mm jack and would have preferred to use something I already own versus buying yet another piece of equipment when I need to be spending money elsewhere but at the risk of screwing something up, I think I will hold off for now.

On a good note, I extracted the 1TB HDD from my 2nd Gen Time Capsule and installed it in the HP for use with Time Machine backups and it is working! Already got it backed up so if anything does happen I can always restore from the back up!

Question while I have ya'll's attention, is there a way to make the Time Machine HDD available to the rest of my wifi network? I lost my Time Capsule due to a failed power supply, which I think I saw coming because it was acting very glitchy and having issues, so I don't have a backup drive for my MBP anymore.

If you are on a tight budget and the DSDT patching is too daunting for you, try one of these USB audio sound cards. I've used what appears to be the same thing in the past for some very light audio recordings and it worked surprisingly well. I stressed "appears" because I remember reading somewhere that some of the newer ones didn't work as well as older ones, so YMMV, but at $0.80, it's not like you're mortgaging your house...

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in responding back. Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions. After realizing it would be way to much work to get that DSDT patch worked out, I chose the USB route. I actually gambled on this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y59F84L/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

It gives me convenient USB-3 port access, SD card slots, and 3.5mm jacks for mic input and headphones all on the desk! And sure enough the mic input works! It was much more expensive than the little USB dongles but I was already planning on buying some solutions for USB-3 port access that would be more convenient and needing a solution to have an SD card slot reader as well.

It gives me convenient USB-3 port access, SD card slots, and 3.5mm jacks for mic input and headphones all on the desk! And sure enough the mic input works!
Nice find. Thanks for letting us know. Here's another option for those that don't need as many USB3 ports but need USB audio.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019E6YWYA/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Screen Shot 4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back