Graphics
HD4000 + HD7650M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am about to buy this computer and i want to make a dual boot os x (10.8.2 or 10.8.3) and win 7.
do you think it is a good choice ?

I understood that radeon hd 7650m is not supported (maybe it will be possible with 10.8.3 ?) but i suppose that i can disable the automatic switchable option.

I've read a lot about "hackintoshing" and i get a little bit confused...
Which method will you recommend for this laptop and which version of os x ???

Thank you for your help.

Just choose any 4540S that meets your criteria. As long it has "full" Sandy or Ivy Bridge (not Pentium or Celeron versions) processor it should be fine. i5-3230M as Ivy Bridge CPU will work best with ML 10.8.3
Read the "sticky" at the top and be prepared to
- patch the DSDT
- replace WiFi card with one supported by OS X

Thank you for your answer.

I was aware that the wifi will not work but forgot to mention it.
I will have a look to the recommended threads and come back if i have some problems.

I got my new laptop and i'm almost ready to start installation...
Bios updated and usb key ready.

Can you tell me what options I have to choose from the probook installer 1.61beta4 ?

As i understood patching dsdt gives the best results but i don't feel "confortable" with this.

Is there a "good Samaritan" to help me patching my dsdt (prepared with dst-editor from win8) ?
(I didn't replace the wifi card yet and probably will use an usb compatible dongle)

Thank you

Attachments

• 4540s i5 3230.zip
    126.8 KB · Views: 353
I got my new laptop and i'm almost ready to start installation...
Bios updated and usb key ready.

Can you tell me what options I have to choose from the probook installer 1.61beta4 ?

As i understood patching dsdt gives the best results but i don't feel "confortable" with this.

Is there a "good Samaritan" to help me patching my dsdt (prepared with dst-editor from win8) ?
(I didn't replace the wifi card yet and probably will use an usb compatible dongle)

Thank you

For Installer setup look at this post
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/93803-hp-probook-4740s-2.html#post576726

and don't forget to disable Radeon card in the BIOS

Attachments

• RicoDSDT.zip
    94 KB · Views: 206
Great.
I will test it and inform you.

After some hours...
My dual boot (Win7 - OS X 10.8.3) is working !!!:)

@BigDonkey I had CMOS Checksum error with the DSDT you kindly patch for me... Anyway I used the options proposed by the probook Installer 6.1b4.

2 more questions :
- Is there any possibility to activate my switchable radeon in BIOS (to use it with Win7) without disturbing OS X Boot ? (I know that i can't use it with OS X but actually enabling it doesn't allow me to start Mountain Lion...)
- Ethernet port is recognized but I can't access to Internet ? (Note that even if I'm a newbie with OS x, I hope I'm able to configure the connexion)

My dual boot (Win7 - OS X 10.8.3) is working !!!:)
It's good to hear!

I had CMOS Checksum error
I think we all do. Check this post
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/94129-help-cmos-reset-probook-4340s.html#post577162

- Is there any possibility to activate my switchable radeon in BIOS (to use it with Win7)
I don't have one but you should be able to use it after installation. Try changing GraphicsEnabler option in org.chameleon.boot.plist from /Extra folder. If not try asking the question in general 4540S thread.

Ethernet port is recognized
Ethernet settings in "System Preferences"-"Network" should give you network status (cable connected/unplugged, ip assigned etc)

Finally I made a fresh install using raw dsdt you patched for me and the results are the following :

- Dual boot win7 + ML 10.8.3 : OK
- CMOS checksum error solved - solution here : http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/94129-help-cmos-reset-probook-4340s.html
- Ethernet (DHCP adress problem) solved - solution here : http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/94664-dhcp-ip-address-issues-4540s.html (as I feel more confident i will probably test Meize driver !!)
- sleep/wake up works properly : needs to disable wake on usb + wake on lan
- VGA is not working but HDMI (image + sound) works perfectly
- switchable radeon can be enabled (probably solution is using patched "raw" dsdt) and is available for Win7
- Wifi is not working:problem: ... definitively i have to replace my original wifi card:p

As a conclusion i am actually fully satisfied with my brand new hackintosh.
I have to THANKS all people participating to this forum : you're GREAT :clap:

After one week of use, system is OK but i have 2 problems :

- brigthness adjustment (Fn key + F2/F3) doesn't work : is it a normal situation ? (I can survive without this....)

- USB3 ports are recognized as USB2 - actual driver is AppleUSBEHCI
I tried to use optional USB3.4x40s.Meize patch on my raw dsdst with Maciasl and dsdteditor (using this link :https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch/wiki/How-to-patch-your-DSDT) but i get compil error.
I think i'm patching the right way since other patches don't send me compil errors.

I tried GenericUSBXHCI.text (RehabMan release) : USB3 works but then i have problems with sleep/wake up.
Starting PC on battery mode, sleep doesn't work anymore when I plug the electrical alimentation cable.
Starting PC with eclectrical cable, sleep doesn't work anymore when I unplug the cable.
(Already tried EC reset)

Any idea/solution ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back