Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello again all!

I'm trying to find an original copy of the HP 4530S or 4730S 68SRR Ver. F.09 BIOS file.

Would anyone here happen to have a copy or know where I can find it? I've been searching for a couple of days buy no luck!

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if I get this to work, I will be honored to share it here once it's working!

Regards

Tom Dee

Hello again all!

I'm trying to find an original copy of the HP 4530S or 4730S 68SRR Ver. F.09 BIOS file.

Would anyone here happen to have a copy or know where I can find it? I've been searching for a couple of days buy no luck!

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if I get this to work, I will be honored to share it here once it's working!

Regards

Tom Dee

F.09 is really old... but if your system still has F.09 on it, when you flash BIOS, I'm pretty sure it creates a backup.

Not possible to defeat the whitelist via patched BIOS though... BIOS is RSA encrypted, so flashing a patched BIOS would require a hardware programmer.

Yes I know it's an old bios. That's the file that is currently on it. I can not flash a newer BIOS because you cannot go backwards so if I flash a new one on that I'm locked out of the F. 09.

I do have a programmer and if I have to rip that chip off the motherboard and put in a socket I will. Damn HP should be prosecuted for this BS. I need a copy of the original F. 09 BIOS for that laptop. It's the same for the 4530 and 4730 laptops.

Thank you for your help.

Tom.

Yes I know it's an old bios. That's the file that is currently on it. I can not flash a newer BIOS because you cannot go backwards so if I flash a new one on that I'm locked out of the F. 09.

You might be able to reflash F.09 and obtain a backup that way.

Note that F.09 is too old to use the current tools/patches for the ProBook and current OS X...

I do have a programmer and if I have to rip that chip off the motherboard and put in a socket I will. Damn HP should be prosecuted for this BS. I need a copy of the original F. 09 BIOS for that laptop. It's the same for the 4530 and 4730 laptops.

What are you planning to do with it?

I think you're going to be using your hardware programmer...

I need it to compare with the dump I got out of the laptop. I want to make sure that there's no differences before I hack it

I need it to compare with the dump I got out of the laptop. I want to make sure that there's no differences before I hack it

But there is no possibility of the current image on chip being tampered with, unless the previous owner had a hardware programmer too...

That was my thought also but the guy who is helping me ask me to try and find it so that's what I'm doing. I I know for sure that the BIOS on the laptop is original and stock and a full dump should produce the same file as an original from HP but since he's helping me I'm not questioning his reasoning I'm just doing what he asked. If we can't find it then we can't find it and he'll just have to use the dump file and we'll see what happens. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work but I'm really pissed at HP for this crap. thank you for your help and if you do happen to find it please let me know if I come up with a modified file I will share it.

Regads

That was my thought also but the guy who is helping me ask me to try and find it so that's what I'm doing. I I know for sure that the BIOS on the laptop is original and stock and a full dump should produce the same file as an original from HP but since he's helping me I'm not questioning his reasoning I'm just doing what he asked. If we can't find it then we can't find it and he'll just have to use the dump file and we'll see what happens. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work but I'm really pissed at HP for this crap. thank you for your help and if you do happen to find it please let me know if I come up with a modified file I will share it.

Regads

I'm pretty sure my 4530s came with F.09, but any backup made during a BIOS update is long gone now...

No worries, I have 2 4530's and 2 4730's and they all have the F.09 BIOS

Check the board, there may be an unpopulated header for in circuit programing via a Dediprog programmer. http://www.dediprog.com/pd/spi-flash-solution/sf100 (those are pretty common for BIOS developers).
Generally, development is done either via an in circuit programming header, or via a socketed flash part.

A couple words of warning, the system is almost certainly running in 'descriptor mode'. This should be covered in the PCH datasheet. Basically, it allows multiple pieces for firmware to be delivered on the flash part and to keep them separated as if they were on their own flash parts. It also allows for the use of 2 flash parts in some cases.

Assuming a single flash part, they aren't *too* bad to desolder if you can do SMT work (I don't think BGA SPI flash parts are very common anyway). Sockets are a bit trickier, I don;t know any part numbers to refer you to. Fingers crossed there is an unpopulated ISP header.

The HP BIOS may be delivered as a capsule update. You'll want to check the UEFI spec for that. This means that the update may not necessarily be a binary image, just pieces that need to be upgraded. Or it could be that the capsule contains a full flash image, but it will take some effort to extract it from the capsule. Just be careful before you assume it's a full flash image :)

Once you get the image, it's almost certainly going to look like what is covered in the UEFI platform initialization spec. Both this and the UEFI spec should be free from uefi.org.

There will be a lot of stuff compressed in the firmware image, so a straight binary search may not yield much.
Take a look for borg number one's BIOS tool collection and Borg Number two's BIOS tools collection. There may be newer versions out there too.
IIRC, HP laptops use Insyde's H2O UEFI BIOS. With luck, you can use something in the tools collections to pull apart the flash image instead of having to resort to a hex editor.

Proceed with caution, backup your flash part, and happy hacking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back