Contribute
Register

HP 350 G2 Yosemite installation loop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I´ve been doing something wrong while trying to start the shell. My boot menu showed me two entries for my USB stick and I selected the first one always which put me into the clover start screen from where I selected to start the shell. The second option actually gets me to GRUB. That´s wierd since I used a different stick than for the OS X install/CLOVER and there is nothing else on that stick with the GRUB shell.
So I tried the command in GRUB and it gave a different error. I used setup_var 0x18C 0x3 like extracted out of my BIOS file from the manufacturer, the command is saying it is changing to 0x03 though. Still didn't work: error: can't set variable using EFI (error: 0x000000000000001a

Your variables are probably protected by BIOS and not changeable. It is typical HP.

So basically I'm done here since I can't unlock the BIOS or change the variable and the patch doesn't work? Some people downgraded the BIOS, you mentioned that modified BIOS aren't possible - but maybe an older one with the option to change the DVMT still included?

Edit: and from what I've seen a hardware programmer could help me install a modded BIOS, right?

So basically I'm done here since I can't unlock the BIOS or change the variable and the patch doesn't work? Some people downgraded the BIOS, you mentioned that modified BIOS aren't possible - but maybe an older one with the option to change the DVMT still included?

No idea. You could always try.

Edit: and from what I've seen a hardware programmer could help me install a modded BIOS, right?

Correct.

Well then thanks for your help until here - I will try to find out which BIOS chip I have and which programmer/test clip I'll need!

This may be the wrong place to ask but do you know about an option to find out which BIOS chip I have except opening the machine?

This may be the wrong place to ask but do you know about an option to find out which BIOS chip I have except opening the machine?

You can use google to see if anyone has hacked the BIOS already. bios-mods.com has a lot of that kind of activity. But to be sure of what you have/need, you'll need to open the machine and look. You'll have to do that eventually anyway. HP usually provides detailed service manuals, available for download.

Ahem - I am back! I didn't make any progress since I was busy otherwise but would like to continue the effort. I opened up the machine and took pictures of the Mainboard since I couldn't identify it. I also have trouble getting to the next step then - which hardware do I need? I'm trying to find out how to modify the BIOS by myself since my version isn't uploaded anywhere I looked (bios-mods.com and the BIOS mods section of mydigitallife.com).
Would be very nice if I could recieve some help on that!

IMG_1024.jpgIMG_1025.jpgIMG_1026.jpgIMG_1027.jpg

Ahem - I am back! I didn't make any progress since I was busy otherwise but would like to continue the effort. I opened up the machine and took pictures of the Mainboard since I couldn't identify it. I also have trouble getting to the next step then - which hardware do I need? I'm trying to find out how to modify the BIOS by myself since my version isn't uploaded anywhere I looked (bios-mods.com and the BIOS mods section of mydigitallife.com).
Would be very nice if I could recieve some help on that!

Trying to backup/patch the BIOS with a hardware programmer is more a topic for bios-mods.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back