Contribute
Register

HP 1020 G1, got it to boot Sierra using vanilla Desktop USB. HP Elitebook guide doesn't work?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z390 Wifi Pro
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi everyone! Been hackintoshing pre-tonymacx86.com, but haven't posted much (along with my first real stumper).

I just got a great deal on a flawless HP 1020 G1 (M-5Y71, HD 5300, 256gb SSD, 8gb RAM, 2560x1440). Did months of research before pulling the trigger.

I'm not QUITE asking for help yet, because there are still a couple of things I need to try before I've exhausted my options, but just want to get your guys/gals gears going on what MIGHT be the problem when I eventually need help.

TLDR version is that I've followed the updated Rehabman HP Elitebook guide to the T, and after about 10 different trial and error USB creations, I've got it to boot to the initial setup screen (the main problem seemed to have been that Clover kept generating a bunch of unnecessary EFI's that threw kernel panics during initial install boot). Problem is I get the "garbled" screen issue that prevents me from being able to see the setup GUI. I've read all the threads regarding Broadwell/HD 5XXX, and have yet to try all the solutions (this'll be the better part of my day today).

That's not the weird part. The weird part is that I have another Sierra install USB I made for my desktop hackintosh, 100% vanilla using the standard Lifehacker/tonymac guide (Unibeast, Clover, Multibeast). Just out of curiosity, I threw that on the HP 1020. Lo and behold, it boots and installs Sierra perfectly fine (at least the first time, albeit w/o integrated keyboard/trackpad support). Which is way farther then I got with the HP Elitebook guide.

Seems weird to me that happened, but at least it gives me hope that the laptop is perfectly capable of running Sierra.

I'll keep at it, and update here if/when I make progress. There doesn't really seem to be any HP 1020 specific resources available, which surprises me. This little laptop is essentially a MacBook, but way more expandable with actually BETTER build quality, wayyyy better keyboard, and I got mine practically un-used for 350 off ebay.

the main problem seemed to have been that Clover kept generating a bunch of unnecessary EFI's that threw kernel panics during initial install boot

The guide contains an image of what should be in drivers64UEFI. Sounds like you neglected/ignored it.

Problem is I get the "garbled" screen issue that prevents me from being able to see the setup GUI.

Sounds like you failed to enable CSM/legacy boot as per guide.

Must read carefully.

That's not the weird part. The weird part is that I have another Sierra install USB I made for my desktop hackintosh, 100% vanilla using the standard Lifehacker/tonymac guide (Unibeast, Clover, Multibeast). Just out of curiosity, I threw that on the HP 1020. Lo and behold, it boots and installs Sierra perfectly fine (at least the first time, albeit w/o integrated keyboard/trackpad support). Which is way farther then I got with the HP Elitebook guide.

Not weird. The guide you mention probably results in loading VESA drivers instead of Broadwell graphics drivers. So the screen will work even with incorrect settings, but it is just because the Broadwell drivers are not loading...

--

Also: Please fill out your profile as requested in the guide (another failure to read carefully...)

The guide contains an image of what should be in drivers64UEFI. Sounds like you neglected/ignored it.

Sounds like you failed to enable CSM/legacy boot as per guide.

That's the tricky thing with involved guides in general (not just hackintoshing). There isn't an implied level of specificity for some of the instructions. For the screenshot regarding the EFI's, the verbiage implies that it should be similar, not exactly the same (as in, explicitly giving instruction to delete anything that isn't shown). When it comes to hackintoshing, my first couple passes always follow instructions to the T. When it comes to something as important as the deletion of files in an install usb, if it doesn't specifically say "delete these files", I'm not knowledgeable enough (technically speaking) to assume that's what the instructions meant.

It's all good. Aside from spending a lot of time, my mistakes is how I learn. I combed through both the HP guide and USB creation guide at least 10-12 times last night and caught my mistake.

Thanks for the tip RehabMan, I'll try CSM/Legacy boot.

That's the tricky thing with involved guides in general (not just hackintoshing). There isn't an implied level of specificity for some of the instructions. For the screenshot regarding the EFI's, the verbiage implies that it should be similar, not exactly the same (as in, explicitly giving instruction to delete anything that isn't shown). When it comes to hackintoshing, my first couple passes always follow instructions to the T. When it comes to something as important as the deletion of files in an install usb, if it doesn't specifically say "delete these files", I'm not knowledgeable enough (technically speaking) to assume that's what the instructions meant.

The *.efi will vary depending only on whether you need EmuVariableUefi-64.efi or with certain hardware had to delete HFSPlus.efi. And of course, with the Probook guide, you must add HPFanReset.efi. But all the extra garbage that the Clover installer copies there can and probably should be deleted.

Thanks for the tip RehabMan, I'll try CSM/Legacy boot.

Also, don't forget to fill out you profile/signature correctly.

That did it. I'm in the middle of installing Sierra. We'll see what I run into after :).

Thanks for the support RehabMan :).

That did it. I'm in the middle of installing Sierra. We'll see what I run into after :).

Thanks for the support RehabMan :).

Please don't forget to fill out your profile/signature... before your next reply.

Did you manage to get this laptop working with mac os?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back