Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've owned my M1 Air for 3 years now and it can still raise a smile and a gasp!. It holds a special place in my heart because it retains the wedge shape from the original air, and, in my opinion, is probably the best Mac Sir Jony ever designed!. The battery lasts around five days, it's cool and silent and stays away from Apples current design trend of rounded corners every where!, not for me. It still feels nippy and responsive, 'fluid', (I think Steve Jobs would love Sonoma), keyboard is solid and pleasant to use and the screen crystal clear and bright.
How's your M series Mac?.

I have an MacBook Pro M1 for 3 years also. I really enjoy the smoother overall experience at the beginning ... and I still enjoy very much the battery life : amazing
I need a more powerful GPU... I'll wait M3 and see what it offers ;)

I've not bought an Apple Silicon Mac yet. What Tyler says about the Macbook Air (2:00 timestamp) in this video is rather impressive. I don't think he's using the MBA base model though. To edit 4K video with it on a regular basis, it would be necessary to upgrade the ram and SSD to at least 16GB and 512GB respectively.

Here's what Tyler Stalman suggests for 15" M2 MBA upgrades. Not cheap, but worth it if you have to edit photos and videos on the go.
Screen Shot 6.jpg

I'm still in love with my M1 Max Mac Studio after having lived with it for over 1.5 years. Having come from a hackintosh with a bunch of 3.5" and 2.5" hot swap bays, I had to adjust to living with external storage, but, once I got everything running solid, it is no longer an issue. It's amazing how little power it uses and how it's completely silent and cool.

I 100% agree with what the guy in the video linked by trs95 said. They can all do what you need to do, it's just a question of how fast you want to do it. This is why I've been able to hold off on transitioning to an Apple Silicon laptop. My current laptop is still plenty sufficient for what I need.

I am very much looking forward to the M3 generation. I think it's a safe assumption that the M3 generation will be running the ARMV9 instruction set and have hardware ray tracing as these features are already in the A17 Pro. I think that the M3 generation will bring very significant performance improvements and I'll see about upgrading my Mac Studio and laptop...

Last edited:
Tylers comment about how the the first M series Air could do a lot more than the previous generation, (Intel), is worth noting. Essentially you got a MacBook Pro without the fan, when I started putting videos together for Hack Desk, I was just surprised at how smoothly and quickly the process was. But I think the most important thing Apple did with the Introduction of M, was give the 'Creators' an affordable, semi professional setup to show off their talents.

I have to agree with @oli.mathieu the battery life is still stupidly good!, even after three years.

Sold all my Intel Macs and now fully using my Apple Silicon machines. Love the M1 MBP 13. Also looking forward to M3. Probably will get a Studio Max M3 when available.

I'm still in love with my M1 ...
and ditto to all the points made in the OP from craighazan. I got an 8/256 M1 Air early on and haven't looked back. Parallels saved me from having to have a pc as it ran the only windows based program that I needed (and it ran at least as well as it ran on my pc). I later bought an M2 15" Air and took it back a week later, in part because I preferred the smaller 13" to carry and use it docked at home) but mainly because I felt bad about leaving the 13" at home by itself. I didn't notice any performance improvements with M2. Now I have the money put aside for an M3, Ive decided not to buy one and looking for a 2nd hand cheap M1 with 16Gb of Ram instead and even then I don't really know why, the only time memory max's out is in Parallels and Im not slowed when Im working in it.

I think Apples has a problem in that a lot of people don't need an upgrade and can have emotional attachments to well functioning tech. Why would they upgrade? (Oh purple!)

and ditto to all the points made in the OP from craighazan. I got an 8/256 M1 Air early on and haven't looked back. Parallels saved me from having to have a pc as it ran the only windows based program that I needed (and it ran at least as well as it ran on my pc). I later bought an M2 15" Air and took it back a week later, in part because I preferred the smaller 13" to carry and use it docked at home) but mainly because I felt bad about leaving the 13" at home by itself. I didn't notice any performance improvements with M2. Now I have the money put aside for an M3, Ive decided not to buy one and looking for a 2nd hand cheap M1 with 16Gb of Ram instead and even then I don't really know why, the only time memory max's out is in Parallels and Im not slowed when Im working in it.

I think Apples has a problem in that a lot of people don't need an upgrade and can have emotional attachments to well functioning tech. Why would they upgrade? (Oh purple!)

Yeah. I think I've reached a point where the hardware I have is "enough" for the stuff I do. Sure, it would be nice to have even more powerful systems, but I don't feel any immediate need to rush in to it.

This is probably why Apple is trying to make a push in to gaming, because games are constantly pushing the envelope and demand the latest/greatest hardware.

Back