Contribute
Register

How would the Customac Mini (i3) compare in performance with a core 2 Duo Unibody?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU
I5-6600K
Graphics
GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook
Hi,

I'm considering my first hackintosh. I need to replace an old Unibody MacBook very soon.

I'm a web developer, so I use mostly basic apps, the browser being the principal one, as well as graphics tools like Affinity Designer, Photo editing.

I wonder if I need to invest in anything more than the CustoMac Mini with 16G of RAM to replace it and gain some performance.

How big a difference in speed would a jump to a CustoMac Mini with 16G of RAM and a Core i3-6320 bring me? And would 32G be even better to have browsers opened with loads of tabs?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm considering my first hackintosh. I need to replace an old Unibody MacBook very soon.

I'm a web developer, so I use mostly basic apps, the browser being the principal one, as well as graphics tools like Affinity Designer, Photo editing.

I wonder if I need to invest in anything more than the CustoMac Mini with 16G of RAM to replace it and gain some performance.

How big a difference in speed would a jump to a CustoMac Mini with 16G of RAM and a Core i3-6320 bring me? And would 32G be even better to have browsers opened with loads of tabs?

Thanks

The CustoMac Mini will run circles around that old MacBook - while I can't give you actual numbers, you'll see a VERY noticeable improvement in almost every aspect of performance (and at a fraction of the price)! I poked around on Geekbench and found most single-core benchmarks for systems with an Intel Core i3-6320 processor were around 3500, vs. around 1300 for a Core 2 Duo P8600. The multi-core benchmarks were even more pronounced at around 10000 vs. around 2400.

Just as important for performance, I'd guess your MacBook doesn't have an SSD - assuming you build your CustoMac with an SSD as recommended, you'll see a very noticeable difference from that as well.

As for the RAM issue, the more the better in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back