Contribute
Register

How would I install Mountain Lion on a new system without access to a Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
System
CPU
i7-3770k
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello Everyone, I just built a new system using OS X compatible components. I'm currently running Windows, but I'd like to dual boot between the two. I read the Mountain Lion installation guide and it says that I need a functioning computer running OS X. I don't have access to a computer running OS X. Are there any other options? Could I run Lion in a virtual machine then create my Mountain Lion USB?

Not sure if this is at all relevant but here are the specs to my system- i7-3770k, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, GTX 670, 16GB ram, 1tb HDD.

Also you could buy a snow leopard disk and install that first.

I agree with buying a Snow Leopard DVD. You can use that and iBoot which you can burn from a Windows machine to do the install. Then combo update to 10.6.8 to get the Mac App Store. From there you can go straight to Mountain Lion using Unibeast. No need to install Lion first.

Without a Mac you won't be able to run Unibeast to create a bootable ML installer.

But since Ivy Bridge isn't supported in SL, you will need to use rboot to install it.

What about my idea to use a virtual machine to run Lion or Snow Leopard? Wouldn't that work to create the Mountain Lion USB? It just seems easier.

It's very clever. In the end I think it'd be the same amount of work. 2 installs either way. The upside of the VM is that you can be sure it's going to be something you want to install and use on a regular basis and if you don't like it, it'd be much either to get rid of.

I like the thinking.

1) on this forum, you can only run OSX Guests on OSX hosts. SO don't ask that here.
2) It will be slow
3) Just go to a library of computer lab and use a mac there (Granted they have one)
4) Apple store?

What about my idea to use a virtual machine to run Lion or Snow Leopard? Wouldn't that work to create the Mountain Lion USB? It just seems easier.

You can try this, but forum rules prevent assisting with problems with VM if OS X is not the host.

I have been experimenting with a Windows-to-Mountain Lion via Snow Leopard method of installation on a MSI Z77A-GD65 + i5 3570K. The main problem I am having is not installing Snow Leopard. I can do this on HD4000 gfx via HDMI cable utilising the iBoot Legacy CD. The main problem is that booting from the CD gives you a system definition of Mac Pro 3,1 and the App store refuses to download ML because it says it can't be installed on the machine.

OTOH, booting with iBoot, installing, upgrading to 10.6.6 to get the App Store app icon in the dock - no problem. Need to find a way to boot from HDD with a system definition that the app store will allow the download. Currently trying to find one that will allow me to boot from HDD. Without HD4000 support in SL, probably isn't one. I think you would need a gfx card natively supported in SL, like the 8800 GT or GS, that is also supported in ML or one you can load drivers for.
Try it and see if you can get the download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back