Contribute
Register

How would I go about dual booting OSX and Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i5 2500K @ 4.6
Graphics
GTX660 OC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys, I was just wondering how I would go about setting up a dual boot with Windows and OSX on my PC. In terms of drives I have:

1TB SpinPoint F3 (Windows 7 x64 installed)
40GB OCZ Vertex 2 (Enhanced RST caching for Windows 7)
2TB WD Caviar Green (storage drive)
320GB Apple branded Seagate Barracuda

My SATA mode is set to RAID to allow Intel rapid storage technology to work. Would I be able to install OSX on the 320GB drive, without disturbing my RST cached Windows 7 array, and dual boot the two operating systems? And if so, how?

The rest of my system specifications are:

i5 2500K (4.6GHz - 46x100 @ 1.375v)
ASRock Extreme 4 Gen 3 Z68
24GB 1600MHz DDR3 (8GB Corsair, 16GB Patriot, all on 9-9-9-24 timings @ 1.5v)
MSI GTX660 OC (1137MHz core, 6520MHz memory)
Asus Xonar DS
Samsung BD123L BD-ROM + DVD-RW combi

If you need to know anything else, just ask :)

Thanks guys

Looks like I can't do it then.

My HDD mode has to be RAID for my RST array to work, and it has to be in ACHI for OSX to work...

Looks like I can't do it then.

My HDD mode has to be RAID for my RST array to work, and it has to be in ACHI for OSX to work...

Your RST is how many drives?

You have ports fed from the Z68 and ports fed from the Marvell chip. You can't have a RAID array using both chips, so, assuming your RAID array is 4-6 drives on the Z68 chip, put the OS X drive on one of the Marvel chip SATA 3 ports. Set the Marvel chip to AHCI and leave your RAID on the Z68 chip SATA ports on RAID function. Your RAID array probably will not be seen by Chimera as a bootable drive anyway, so just leave the RAID as primary boot device and use the function key at boot that allows you to select a boot device to select the OS X when you want to boot it.

I am on the same boat... i don't understand why it doesn't see it as UEFI should take care of this "translation".

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back