Contribute
Register

How will Rootless affect kexts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as clover and patching on the fly, would rootless affect updates?
Yes. Just ran an update without rootless=0. Result, no audio. IOReg showed everything working, System Preferences showed no devices and System Information showed AppleHDA.kext did not load. The fix was to boot rootless=0, run the cloverALC script and restart to working audio. Audio works after each boot with no rootless=0. Next update, plan a rootless=0 experiment.

Yes. Just ran an update without rootless=0. Result, no audio. IOReg showed everything working, System Preferences showed no devices and System Information showed AppleHDA.kext did not load. The fix was to boot rootless=0, run the cloverALC script and restart to working audio. Audio works after each boot with no rootless=0. Next update, plan a rootless=0 experiment.

Very interesting. Good information.

In researching this a bit more, it seems a user is able to turn off rootless permanently from the installer for the El Capitan partition, making user account permissions the same as Yosemite and below. (See ****** link to the apple/osx subreddit - near the bottom of the post)

https://www.******.com/r/apple/comments/3dbysa/rootless_what_it_is_and_why_you_shouldnt_care_an/

This might make updating easier, but lose a bit of added security in the process. Considering OSX already does a pretty darn good job of separating the sudo and normal arguments, that might be enough for me.

This is most interesting I think I will follow with the experimenting as well with booting with rootless=0 before updating and the booting with rootless=0 after the update to see if I can avoid running the script and keeping audio

In researching this a bit more, it seems a user is able to turn off rootless permanently from the installer for the El Capitan partition, making user account permissions the same as Yosemite...

This might make updating easier, but lose a bit of added security in the process. Considering OSX already does a pretty darn good job of separating the sudo and normal arguments, that might be enough for me.

Locking /S/L/E is Apple trying to make OS X idiot-proof, at least I hope it is and not some evil plan to imprison the desktop users as tightly as iOS users have been. We all realize this step was sorely needed, with all the catastrophic hacks and penetrations of late (on Windows platforms, mainly). However, anyone who goes to the trouble of building and maintaining a hackintosh is more than sufficiently wary and respectful of the power of su access, so running 10.11 with rootless disabled is probably safe enough to enjoy the convenience . I just hope the production release doesn't feature a meddlesome nag screen about rootless being turned off.

Does this mean, I can install apps like TotalFinder without a problem in rootless and then restart as normal and everything will work?

Not sure, but I did see that the devs behind TotalFinder have thrown in the towel for El Capitan. They've said they'll no longer develop it, and there's not way to really make it work (even if you disable Rootless). Sad to see, for sure.

Would be nice if it would work though.

Not sure, but I did see that the devs behind TotalFinder have thrown in the towel for El Capitan. They've said they'll no longer develop it, and there's not way to really make it work (even if you disable Rootless). Sad to see, for sure.

Would be nice if it would work though.
Oh, no! Thanks for the information as I'm TotalFinder user and (dare I say it?) a big fan of TotalFinder's added capability to Finder. TotalFinder is the first thing I install after I do a fresh installation of OS X. Since binaryage has given up on developing it for El Capitan (hopefully for now), I will be having to do much more keystrokes in Finder.

Here's the link to binaryage's blot post: http://blog.binaryage.com/el-capitan-update/

this is a very informative thread, so just to throw in a question and it may be redundant but would enabling rootless=0 fix the issue of b2 not loading 3rd party kexts (i.e. LAN and hdmiaudio, apparently fakesmc still works, that or it has to do with the fact that i did an upgrade instead of a blank install but then too im still on b1 to begin with)

About TotalFinder: I use XtraFinder instead. The devs say it works in 10.11. ;)
I've used TotalFinder for a while and grown so use to it that it would be a shame to give it up. I'll look into XtraFinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back