CPU
I7 4770K
Graphics
Integrated
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Around 4 years ago (maybe 5) I turned a Dell netbook into a Hackintosh. It was an interesting experiment but the hardware was a bit flakey and I eventually reinstalled Linux. I haven't followed the Hackintosh development so I was pleasantly surprised when I came across this site. I am getting fed up with Windows (Windows 8 Storage Spaces are the last straw) and am looking at moving more of my computer use to OS X. I will stick with my Windows servers (one for backup and one for media, used to run the backup in a virtual machine in the media server but windows 8 storage space died and took the VM with it.)

Just by reading around the site it looks like if I stick to proven components I should have a good experience. Is hardware support as good as it appears? Will I be able to run either Parallels or VMWare? I have 2 windows apps that don't have good mac counterparts and I'd rather not use Bootcamp unless it's the only option.

I've built 5 or 6 PCs over the years so that's not an issue. I'm just looking for some assurance that this is a viable option and I won't be spending all my spare time fixing issues.

If you stick to the recommended builds that will always be your best bet.

Since, a lot of people use those recommended builds it will help you get support if and when something doesn't go right.

Of course searching for a board that your interested in would also help you find a board that meets your needs.

Good luck.

If you don't try to fix things that are not broken, a hackintosh will work like any other computer :)

Just by reading around the site it looks like if I stick to proven components I should have a good experience. Is hardware support as good as it appears? Will I be able to run either Parallels or VMWare? I have 2 windows apps that don't have good mac counterparts and I'd rather not use Bootcamp unless it's the only option.

Yes, one of the B.G. builds will run stable for many years to come. My Lion build has been
flawless for the past two years now. If you want to run VMs make sure you've got at least
a quad core cpu, (I7-3770 would be best) and at least 16 GB of Ram.

These things are getting more stable with every passing day, but especially since Sandy Bridge and Lion. The best thing to do is take one of the recommended builds, get it rock solid, and then clone the drive or back it up. That way you don't have to tweak your way back through the installation process in the unfortunate event that something bad does happen.

I can honestly say that my Z77-DS3H i7 3770 GT640 hackintosh is a perfectly viable option. It's actually easier to get OS X to run on it than Windows 7!!

im a bit of a novice when it come to the hackintosh but i can say this much after it is installed and everything works you cant tell the difference between a real one and a hack.

I ended up ordering parts for an mATX build off the September buying guide. Wanted to go smaller form factor but really wanted to max out the RAM as I'm going to be running Win 7 or 8 in a VM and know from past experience that I want a lot of RAM for a good experience. I will be using onboard graphics as I don't need a separate card. Onboard graphics has come a long way. Now I'm waiting on the case as I wanted the soon to be released mATX Bitfenix case that looks like the BitFenix mITX case but mATX size. Using a 256GB SSD for the system drive and a 3TB HDD for data storage.

I'm looking forward to building my new machine and getting it up and running.

I'm a longtime mechanical engineer and *love* to build and tinker. If only my husband understood. :D

Just wanted to add the my Hackintosh is up and running, even have Win 8 running in Parallels. The Bitfenix mATX case is nice but it took planning to install drives and still be able to hook up cables. I installed a Blu-Ray drive, one SSD and one HDD. No graphics card. Ended up installing the MB in the case first, then connecting the side panel switches, lights, and audio. I switched the side panels so that the switches, etc. were on the MB side. It also makes it easier to connect the cables. Then I installed the Blu-Ray drive and connected one end of the SATA and power cables to the drive. The SATA cable was also hooked up to the MB. At the same time I connected the SATA cables for the SSD and HDD to the MB. Then I installed the PS and connected the ATX and CPU plugs. Lastly I installed the SSD and HDD. They are attached to a panel that is attached to the side of the case. After I put in the drives, I hooked them up and closed up the case. The PS is actually installed in the front of the case so that the switch is on the bottom of the case. There is an AC cable that plugs in to the PS and goes to the back of the case where you plug in your AC cable to the power outlet.

I have large hands and had to install in this order because the case was a pretty tight fit. A graphics card would've made it more difficult.

The case is very nice to look at. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345030

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back