Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The best way to test for SpeedStep working is View attachment MSRDumper.kext.zip a kernel extension for reading the Machine Specific Register (MSR) that contains the current P-state and logging it.

The downside to this kext is that if you continue to run it for a long time it will fill up your kernel log file. When the log file reaches 1000K it's rolled over and is saved off and another log file is created. Eventually you could fill up a significant amount of disk space. Based on that I will document how to run it on demand and how to unload.

The first thing you need to do is change ownership of the kext. In Terminal you need to go to the directory that contains the unzipped attachment and run the following command:
Code:
sudo chown -R 0:0 MSRDumper.kext

Then when you want to run MSRDumper type the following command in Terminal in the directory that contains MSRDumper:
Code:
sudo kextload MSRDumper.kext

Then in the Console application click on kernel.log and you will see entries like the following:
Code:
May 12 20:30:02 MacMans-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(31) 
May 12 20:30:02 MacMans-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 11 15 19 23 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 33 34 
May 12 20:30:02 MacMans-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(31) 
May 12 20:30:02 MacMans-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 11 15 19 23 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 33 34 

Note: These log entries are from my Early 2011 MacBook Pro.

MSRDumper CoreMulti(31) shows that the current P-state is 31 and
MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 11 15 19 23 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 33 34 shows all the P-states seen since the kext was loaded.

Be patient when first running MSRDumper as it takes awhile to see multiple P-states. You might need to run some programs to change states.

To stop MSRDumper run the following command in Terminal in the same directory as the kext is located:
Code:
sudo kextunload MSRDumper.kext

I just used the HWMonitor App in multibeast to show my multiplier.

Hi macman,

I may need your help..

1: Ive downloaded the MSRDumper.kext.zip file and left it into the download map.

2: I open terminal and copy paste: sudo chown -R 0:0 MSRDumper.kext
and it says: chown: MSRDumper.kext: No such file or directory

If i Drag the Kext file to the terminal and press enter it says:Last login: Wed Sep 19 13:45:10 on ttys000
TreyDayzs-iMac:~ TreyDayz$ /Users/TreyDayz/Desktop/MSRDumper.kext
-bash: /Users/TreyDayz/Desktop/MSRDumper.kext: is a directory
TreyDayzs-iMac:~ TreyDayz$

after that I'm trying to use the MSRDumper.kext again, and again it says: chown: MSRDumper.kext: No such file or directory

when I drag the next file to the terminal and press enter afterwards it says: -bash: /Users/TreyDayz/Desktop/MSRDumper.kext: is a directory
TreyDayzs-iMac:~ TreyDayz$ sudo kextload MSRDumper.kext

As I proceed trying the: sudo kextload MSRDumper.kext it says this:/Users/TreyDayz/MSRDumper.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) not found; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
TreyDayzs-iMac:~ TreyDayz$

Hopefully you can help me out, and hopefully you'll still read this post since its been a few month ago the post started.

Thanks in advance!!

TreyDayz

i tested mine also asus p8p67 rev 3, its not over clocked this is what i am getting with the coremulti going from 16 - 34
depending on load, does this mean speed step is working or not

25/09/2012 17:56:40.000 kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 34

Do i need to install motherboard plugins from multibeast in order use this?

hi i cant make the MSRDumper stop generating. What i get is PStatesReached 16 17 18 19 20 39. I tried the command in terminal as you mentioned to stop it. sudo kextunload MSRDumper.kext in terminal but it said

Can't open CFBundle for /Volumes/ML Home Folder/MSRDumper.kext.
Can't create MSRDumper.kext.
localhost:~ newmacpro$

I must note that i followed a guide to move my home folder and placed it onto a 1TB HD to save my applications music photo etc, and my ssd is just for the OS. i know i mention 2 diffrent things her but hopefully a solution is possible here.

Hi I ran the instructions given and all i got was this
Screen%20Shot%202012-11-14%20at%2010.25.37%20AM.png

I'm using a 3770K-i7, understand this is a guide for Sandy Bridge but I guess it should work for Ivy Bridge too? Is my SpeedStep working?

Hi I ran the instructions given and all i got was this
Screen%20Shot%202012-11-14%20at%2010.25.37%20AM.png

I'm using a 3770K-i7, understand this is a guide for Sandy Bridge but I guess it should work for Ivy Bridge too? Is my SpeedStep working?

speedstep isnt working.
youre stuck at 3.5ghz

what multibeast options did you use?

Back