i5-4300M
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,
I have successfully installed 10.11 with clover, but right now I can only boot the system with USB drive of bootloader. If you boot directly from the SSD, it will show the chameleon, which leads to unpleasant failure.

Hi,
I have successfully installed 10.11 with clover, but right now I can only boot the system with USB drive of bootloader. If you boot directly from the SSD, it will show the chameleon, which leads to unpleasant failure.

You need to install Clover to the HDD and set UEFI boot as priority.

You need to install Clover to the HDD and set UEFI boot as priority.
I have installed clover to HDD. But I didn't set UEFI as primary boot. Where to set this?

In boot device selection(F12 menu when powered on), it doesn't shows the sub-list of legacy and UEFI as USB clover does. The HDD only has the SATA HDD as one entry.

I have installed clover to HDD. But I didn't set UEFI as primary boot. Where to set this?

Most BIOS implementations will prefer UEFI boot over legacy. Some have an option to choose the preference.

In boot device selection(F12 menu when powered on), it doesn't shows the sub-list of legacy and UEFI as USB clover does. The HDD only has the SATA HDD as one entry.

This indicates to me that Clover is not properly installed in UEFI mode to the EFI partition.

Most BIOS implementations will prefer UEFI boot over legacy. Some have an option to choose the preference.

This indicates to me that Clover is not properly installed in UEFI mode to the EFI partition.

I forgot to do this before install clover to HDD:
sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1
Does this command create a new volume called EFI? Weird thing is that Volume existed even I didn't do this command, on which the Clover installed.

I forgot to do this before install clover to HDD:
sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1
Does this command create a new volume called EFI? Weird thing is that Volume existed even I didn't do this command, on which the Clover installed.

There is no need to format the EFI partition. After partitioning GPT, the EFI partition is ready to use.

Doing this kind of thing likely changes the special GUID that identifies the EFI partition. The GUID for EFI is specified by the UEFI spec and is used by the Clover installer in order to locate the EFI partition on the disk (because it is not necessary for it to be at the first partition).

I'm not sure how myths such as "formatting the EFI as FAT32" get started...

It's for when you boot from EFI Parition. Apparently from what people say weather you have Legacy or UEFI it can only boot from Fat32. That's what people say anyway.

Well, for the record, here's where the myth started for me... (Step 4, item 3)

Maybe it has the advantage that it wipes out whatever Apple put there? (Maybe that doesn't matter.)

It just isn't necessary. More chance of screwing up the EFI partition than anything.

The EFI partition is already formatted at the point you partition with Disk Utility.

I have *never* found a need to format the EFI partition.

Those instructions may be in there for migrating from Chameleon/Chimera, because with certain graphics cards, it is advised to install the bootloader into the EFI partition and format it as HFS+J. Formatting the EFI partition when transitioning to Clover would certainly take care of reversing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back