Contribute
Register

How to refill the G5 Quad Water Cooling circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus rog strix z370-g gaming (wi-fi ac)
CPU
Intel Core i7 8700k
Graphics
Asus ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello people.
So about a week ago i bought a well mainteaned powermac G5 Quad 2.5 ghz.
This is the 1 pump Delphi version:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/XVkAAOSwyQtVntW9/$_1.JPG

You know how is the deal with it: A lot of fans making noise (It seems to be a Boeing about to take of). Also wenever you do the simplest task -Like opening finder- pushes the temps to very high margins.
So i disassembled to clean up and look for water cooling failure...But there is not.
Actually everything looks cleans and no sign of liquid.
I tested the pump (Maybe this was clocked) and at list, putting 12v and ground on the correct pin, make the device running.
So, I'm not actually certain about the liquid to put on it to replace, since the original one (Found it in google) from Termaltake seems to be impossible to obtain in my country (Argentina).
The question is: What liquid may i put on the LCS of my mac to replace the stock one?
Please help!
Sorry for my English

The fans will go to full speed if the the door sensor indicates the acrylic cover is removed - you may want to make sure that sensor is fully working.

As far as refilling the coolant? I doubt you can, and I imagine that many people here would recommend that you don't. This coolers have a very high chance of failure and will leak their contents on the Tesla converter below, destroying most of the computer in the process.

Attempting to disassemble the unit will greatly increase the risk of failure later unless you get new hoses and new clamps. The issue here is that you also won't be able to ensure that any air bubbles are removed from the system unless you modded in a reservoir; that may well work though if you're creative enough!

Good luck!

Those are great recommendations mister!
I will wait a few days to think about the best options to do here.

I really didn't know what I'm going to do with this G5: It is in incredible cosmetic shape, loaded with 8gb of Ram, 2 HDD's (1tb and 512gb) and everything seems to be ok except for the importart detail that it is definitely OVERHEATING on the simplest load. I already tried to run thermal calibration (I have the DVD) and not even starts that it freezes big time.
The problem is (I suspect) on the pump not doing is job well, or the LCS obstructed inside.

In the meanwhile i notice that the powersupply (Which also is in great shape) is rated to 1000 watts!!
Today i was googling for pinouts and i think this will be a good project to have fun with: Modding the Mac G5 to ATX (To use in a hackintosh)
UPDATE!: Here is the link to a guide i made, for using the original Powermac G5 on ATX standard motherboards.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-acbel-1kw-psu-to-atx-project.202668/#post-1330053

The Mac cost me the equal of us$150 (Coins in mi country; Mac's -even old ones- are completely over-valuated around this lands) and looking around i see that a quality brand ATX 1kw power supply cost us$400 on mercadolibre.com (A kind of ebay of Argentina).
Even the labels are pretty mach claiming the same amps on every rail (Look at the pictures were it is the box of a NZXT Hale90 and the ACBEL on the G5):
NZXT Hale90.jpg
:
acbel.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back