Contribute
Register

How to read HFS+ files in Windows w/o installing BootCamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time not here again. I confirm the BootCamp v5 drivers are ok (at least on a few Windows 7 x64 PCs).

I see that Apple posted v5.1 drivers, which are needed for Windows 8.1, I believe. After unzipping the file, I can't find the msp for it. Where is it, and does the registry file need any changes? (There are also two versions of the v5.1 drivers, but I assume that they are the same in terms of HFS+ support.)

Thanks TenaciousB.

It is normal if you cannot find the msp file in v5.1. It is msi file since v4. I do not even know that until I saw your post. Thanks a lot.

I have just updated the instruction in #1 and should be easier to follow. BTW, I still have NOT tested v5.1 yet!

I would suggest to stick with the latest version of BootCamp.

The registry file should be fine, it works since day 1.

Hopes everything work!

I have attached the x64 driver extracted from BootCamp v5.1. It should works on Win 8.1 x64.

Could someone please test it and post the result? No matter using the method in the first post or the attachment. Thanks.

Attachments

• AppleHFSv5.1_win78_x64_not_tested.zip
    47.4 KB · Views: 453
I have attached the x64 driver extracted from BootCamp v5.1. It should works on Win 8.1 x64.

Could someone please test it and post the result? No matter using the method in the first post or the attachment. Thanks.

I just tested it out on Windows 8.1 so I thought I would give an update. It seems to work fine so far. The only thing that didn't work (which I don't recall if it worked before) is that I cannot mount an ISO that is on a HFS drive. I have to copy the ISO to my windows drive and then open. Like I said, I cannot remember if I was able to do this in the past or not.

Thanks for providing the driver!

It caused a BSoD on my PC under Windows 7 (Ultimate, fresh install) when trying to read a HFS drive but they all mount and show up in Explorer

I'm having a strange issue. I installed the latest (6.0.6251) drivers and registry info as described. My systems are 10.12.1 and Windows 10 installed to separate SSDs. The drivers work for reading from my old El Cap partition on my HDD but don't recognize my Sierra partition on my other SSD. I had Paragon HFS installed in this setup and it worked, but I just recently had to reinstall Sierra because it corrupted the file system after a few weeks, so I'm not going to be using that (or any read+write drivers) anymore. I'll attach the latest drivers. Do these drivers not support SSDs or something?

Edit: I read on MacRumors that the Windows 10 anniversary update breaks the Boot Camp drivers. Also I forgot that my HDD has an MBR/hybrid partition table, so that is probably the important difference.

Attachments

• AppleHFS.zip
    46.2 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
I managed to make it work following steps in this post https://discussions.apple.com/message/31245808#message31245808
Seems like drivers are fine, mounting of the volumes is what's broken. That post shows how to mount them. U can make changes to registry or use Ext2fsd tool. I use the tool because I also have a bunch of external hdds in HFS format so tool is useful to mount them quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back