Contribute
Register

How to: RAID0 on 2x Fusion Drive sets (2xSSD, 2xHDD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
none
CPU
none
Graphics
none
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Posted from my blog here:
http://www.rossfisher.me/2016/01/ho...os-x-10-11-el-capitan-genuine-and-hackintosh/

I have:

• 2x Samsung 850 Pro SSDs
  • 2x Seagate 7200RPM HDDs
So how do we combine all of these for one monster drive? Fusion Drive + RAID! Yes, you can even boot off of this.
First, get some paper and write down your disk mappings using diskutil list. Mine were:

• /dev/disk0 – 850 Pro
  • /dev/disk1 – 850 Pro
  • /dev/disk2 – Seagate 1TB HDD
  • /dev/disk3 – Seagate 1TB HDD
Next we will create two fusion drives, one for each HDD/SDD set.
diskutil coreStorage create FUSE1 /dev/disk0 /dev/disk2*Copy the UUID for the next command*
diskutil coreStorage createVolume S87D6F8F-D9WJ-8AD9-SD(UUID) jhfs+ "Macintosh HD1" 100%Then repeat the steps for your 2nd Fusion Drive set (name it FUSE2 and Mackintosh HD2).
Once done, do another diskutil list and write down your Fusion Drive mappings. In my case they were:

• /dev/disk18 – FUSE1 (Macintosh HD1)
  • /dev/disk19 – FUSE2 (Macintosh HD2)
Next we will create a RAID0 across both Fusion drives. You are free to use whatever RAID level you want such as RAID 1 = “mirror”
diskutil appleRAID create stripe "Macintosh HD" JHFS+ disk18 disk19If any of the above commands fail, press “up” in the terminal and run them again, some I had to due twice due to disks not unmounting the first time but the second time it worked!
Now you can install OS X to the drive. When doing a hackintosh, use Clover Configurator to copy your EFI folder to the first disk’s EFI partition. Be sure to set your BIOS to boot from the drive and all should be rosy!
And before you ask, creating fusion drives on RAID sets (the other way around) doesn’t work and leads to Kernel Panics so RAID on 2x Fusion Drives is the only way to go!

So in the end, I'm left with 2.5TB of usable disk space and OS X will shuffle around the most frequently used data to the SSDs, on top of that I'm running RAID0. Performance numbers are around 1GB/s for data that is in the cache (2x 850 Pro speeds).

Any sort of drive failure mitigation with this setup? Are you running a dedicated 3TB backup or just going balls-to-the-wall on the Raid 0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back