Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CLEVO P775DM3-G
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
Hey everyone,

I'm currently trying to obtain an audio codec dump from linux and don't know the proper command to type in. I have found a few
threads on this site and others that use audio codec dump in order to find out your audio codec information.

Do you recommend this command?
cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#1 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt

And after that command what are you looking for within the text document to tell you what audio codec you have?
Thank you in advance!

Hey everyone,

I'm currently trying to obtain an audio codec dump from linux and don't know the proper command to type in. I have found a few
threads on this site and others that use audio codec dump in order to find out your audio codec information.

Do you recommend this command?
cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#1 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt

And after that command what are you looking for within the text document to tell you what audio codec you have?
Thank you in advance!

For your hardware, probably:
/proc/asound/card0/codec#0

You should get both codec#0 and codec#1...

Hey RehabMan,

Thank you for your reply. Using codec#0 worked while using codec#1 resulted in "No such file or directory"
I now know that my laptop audio codec is the Realtek ALC898.

Attachments

• codec0_dump.txt
    15.4 KB · Views: 773
Hey RehabMan,

Thank you for your reply. Using codec#0 worked while using codec#1 resulted in "No such file or directory"
I now know that my laptop audio codec is the Realtek ALC898.

You must have HDMI audio disabled.

Thank you RehabMan,

Just to clarify, HDMI audio is the audio that is outputted along with an HDMI video signal via the HDMI output; i.e., If I connected my laptop to a Monitor with audio capabilities the "HDMI audio" would then come into affect. And having it disabled doesn't effect the current ALC898 audio outputs. Thanks all for your thoughts!

Thank you RehabMan,

Just to clarify, HDMI audio is the audio that is outputted along with an HDMI video signal via the HDMI output; i.e., If I connected my laptop to a Monitor with audio capabilities the "HDMI audio" would then come into affect. And having it disabled doesn't effect the current ALC898 audio outputs. Thanks all for your thoughts!

I am well aware of what HDMI audio is.

In many computers, you can disable HDMI audio from BIOS...

Thanks for helping me understand. Computers are complex and new to me and I'm learning fast! Thank you everyone especially RehabMan, I truly appreciate it.

Thanks for helping me understand. Computers are complex and new to me and I'm learning fast! Thank you everyone especially RehabMan, I truly appreciate it.

You can use 'ls -l /proc/asound/card0' to see the codecs under card0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back