Contribute
Register

How to make your "BIOS" based system shut down properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it could be a BIOS revision issue, but I wasn't using the latest one. The board in question that I tested on is the GA-Z68XP-D3 and it worked just fine.

We've got a BIOS to UEFI upgrade guide coming.

As for 10.7.4, go for it, it's what I was using on the test system.

My BIOS is reacting the same way....but I solved the shutdown problem by installing EvoReboot.kext + using my custom DSDT.

Gigabyte P45T-DS3R here

I would suggest Soft-Off By PWR set to Delayed 4s. This means that pressing the button will put the computer to sleep or bring the sleep dialog while holding it for 4 seconds will shutdown.

Shouldn't a properly edited DSDT fix this issue? I have been using Gigabyte exclusively for all of my Intel and AMD builds and have never encountered this issue. It is good to know though; Tony's tips have saved me headaches in the past. :p
@andrec- Awesome suggestion!

Shouldn't a properly edited DSDT fix this issue? I have been using Gigabyte exclusively for all of my Intel and AMD builds and have never encountered this issue. It is good to know though; Tony's tips have saved me headaches in the past. :p
@andrec- Awesome suggestion!

Well I have Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 Bios F11 sleep and shutdown works very good.

Doesn't work for my... but I have a 4 series (GA-Z68XP-UD4 F4)... Everytime I shut-down, wether it reboots or the screen goes black but the computer fans and lights stay on until I force shut down by holding power... My settings are exactly the same as above except a few options missing in my bios...

One question, at first I downgraded from I don't remember if it was F6 or F5, to F4 'Cause DSDT's were not available, would it help to upgrade back and install a new DSDT?

I used to have the same problem, I have fixed it by replacing my wifi card.
Try taking out every thing except the OS, if problem is fix, try installing one by one and you should figure out what cause the problem.

Problem with GA-X58A-UD3R ver 2.0 FF, same setting as shown above, if system go sleep once time, then shutdown ok. But if I let system sleep two times or more, then I can't shutdown properly. I never have this problem with Lion 10.7.4

I have the same Mobo, Mine works just fine sleep, shutdown with 10.8

For those not experiencing an issue these settings may not be necessary, however if you do experience issues it is worth following this advice. As I posted in another thread, manufacturing process can lead to minuscule variations within a product line which can affect behaviour of the board in a given environment. Some may experience issues while others with the same board may not - while this is by no means the norm it can happen.

Edited to add
Plus of course components you add may affect others.

Problem with GA-X58A-UD3R ver 2.0 FF, same setting as shown above, if system go sleep once time, then shutdown ok. But if I let system sleep two times or more, then I can't shutdown properly. I never have this problem with Lion 10.7.4

Ok, temporary problem fix. Replace PXHCD.kext version 1.0.1. Sleep/Shutdown no problem. If mount/reject external USB 3.0, monitor goes sleep only. Yuck.

Ok , just a comment ,but i found i had shutdown issues ,and it turned out to be not quitting skype before shutting down ,if skype is open it never shuts down ,off shuts down immediately

Hi everybody,

I have the same problem here (my computer won't wake up from "waking state"). The only thing i can do is shutting down the machine, and reboot (not really proper isn't it?)
My BIOS is really different from the screenshot showed above on this post and the option "Wake up LAN" don't seam to exist on mine :/

So for now, i just configured my computer so it never goes to sleep, and i shut down via the power button when i don't use it (which is, -ahah-, quiet never the case..) and configured it so the HDs go to sleep when unused....

any ideas?

(Gigabyte H77N-WIFI here)

Thanks for Ur help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back