Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello folks,

after making the hackintosh work entirely I wanted to add a Win XP system for some software that I have to use and that is windows-only.

I partitioned a 2nd drive to 15 GB for windows and the rest for data. I then unplugged the OSX drive, installed Windows XP ( I had to set the BIOS to AHCI disabled), re-plugged the OSX drive, left the bios as is AAANNND... it always boots into Win... Also Windows didn't see my partitions and re-partitioned the drive...

Any hints?

BTW: KUDOS for the amazing work!

Let me guess, if you switch BIOS back to AHCI= enabled, you can boot OSX but not XP?

Install AHCI driver for windows XP, then set your BIOS back to AHCI.
The AHCI controller driver depends on the board you have.
Try google "IDE to AHCI for Windows XP"

thomase said:
Hello folks,

after making the hackintosh work entirely I wanted to add a Win XP system for some software that I have to use and that is windows-only.

I partitioned a 2nd drive to 15 GB for windows and the rest for data. I then unplugged the OSX drive, installed Windows XP ( I had to set the BIOS to AHCI disabled), re-plugged the OSX drive, left the bios as is AAANNND... it always boots into Win... Also Windows didn't see my partitions and re-partitioned the drive...

Any hints?

BTW: KUDOS for the amazing work!

Topic moved to correct forum, General Tuning.

ijhu said:
Let me guess, if you switch BIOS back to AHCI= enabled, you can boot OSX but not XP?

Good guess. I'll have a look on google and try again. But: It IS a SATA drive, not IDE.

Will report back.

thomase said:
ijhu said:

Good guess. I'll have a look on google and try again. But: It IS a SATA drive, not IDE.

Will report back.
Use the search function here on the forum and search key words "dual boot" or Multi - boot in the topic subject along with WinXP or Windows XP. There are several in the forum.Two things to remember about WinXP is that WinXP does not have native support for AHCI and you need to install the drivers - download them from your motherboard website. It also insists on being the primary hard drive first in boot drive order in the BIOS or it will not boot. Create a small (100Mb) partition at the end of the WinXP drive formatted MBR, FAT32 and install chameleon there. Then copy your /Extra folder there also. Set your WinXP drive as first in boot drive order and boot it up. At the chameleon boot screen hit a key and select your OS to boot up.

I did a search and couldn't find anything because I wrote windows and xp seperately - Oh well... So you're saying Win 7 would be a lot easier? I tried that but for some reason the DVD wouldn't load. Might have been faulty.

hey,

i did everything like described here. but when i want to boot from my xp disc, there`s a message
boot0: error
or something like that!

my xp bootsection allready got demaged, so i cannot run xp any more :(
what went wrong?? ok, step by step.

- i created a Fat32 partition (how do i create, or, do i have to create mbr??)
- i installed cameleon 2.0 prerelease by running multi beast
- copy of extra folder to the new partition
- booting from xp disc
= error

can anyone help me?

lg, gimmick

gimmick said:
hey,

i did everything like described here. but when i want to boot from my xp disc, there`s a message
or something like that!

my xp bootsection allready got demaged, so i cannot run xp any more :(
what went wrong?? ok, step by step.

- i created a Fat32 partition (how do i create, or, do i have to create mbr??)
- i installed cameleon 2.0 prerelease by running multi beast
- copy of extra folder to the new partition
- booting from xp disc
= error

can anyone help me?

lg, gimmick
Did you point MultiBeast at the partition or at the WinXP disc?
If you pointed it at the disc, then the chameleon installer over-wrote your WinXP MBR. Put your install disc in and use it to repair your MBR.

hi,

i created a 200Mb partition on my winXP disc, there i installed multibeast-cameleon
rebuilding the MBR doesn`t work. i tried a lot, searched in the web, nothing helps.
but thats not bad, there were no important things on my XP.

but the problem is still the same:
i cannot dualboot XP by using cameleon.
i get to the screen where i can see my LP OS and XP
then i mark my xp OS (it`s on another disc) -- enter
nothing happens - black screen.

what i tried:
Create a small (100Mb) partition at the end of the WinXP drive formatted MBR, FAT32 and install chameleon there. Then copy your /Extra folder there also. Set your WinXP drive as first in boot drive order and boot it up. At the chameleon boot screen hit a key and select your OS to boot up.

AHCI Mode with XP was no problem.
but the rest was!

now, when i want to boot from the 200MB partition i get a message:

it seems like there are no boot files on my 200MB partition....
how can i install cameleon on my 200Mb drive?

thx for help!

gimmick

gimmick said:
hi,

i created a 200Mb partition on my winXP disc, there i installed multibeast-cameleon
rebuilding the MBR doesn`t work. i tried a lot, searched in the web, nothing helps.
but thats not bad, there were no important things on my XP.

but the problem is still the same:
i cannot dualboot XP by using cameleon.
i get to the screen where i can see my LP OS and XP
then i mark my xp OS (it`s on another disc) -- enter
nothing happens - black screen.

what i tried:
Create a small (100Mb) partition at the end of the WinXP drive formatted MBR, FAT32 and install chameleon there. Then copy your /Extra folder there also. Set your WinXP drive as first in boot drive order and boot it up. At the chameleon boot screen hit a key and select your OS to boot up.

AHCI Mode with XP was no problem.
but the rest was!

now, when i want to boot from the 200MB partition i get a message:

it seems like there are no boot files on my 200MB partition....
how can i install cameleon on my 200Mb drive?

thx for help!

gimmick
open a terminal and use diskutil list to see all of your hard drives/names/partitions and determine which is which. Then follow this method: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -from.html to install chameleon to your WinXP HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back