Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
EDIT:

I finally could do it, so here are the steps:

1) Install OSX in a dual partition HDD, GUID partition table, with a FAT32 second partition.
2) In a Windows machine, prepare with nlite a XP installation disk, including SP3 and the Gigabyte AHCI drivers (attached below).
3) Boot into OSX and flag the FAT32 partition active and reboot with the XP AHCI installation CD inserted. Chameleon will not longer boot, but we will change this after the XP installation.
4) Boot the CDROM with F12 and install XP in the FAT32 partition (you can format it as NTFS at this point).
5) Once XP has finished installed (several reboots), now it is time to recover Chameleon.
6) Using iBoot (again into the CDROM, boot with F12), boot into OSX.
7) Flag active the OSX partition. Reboot.
8) Chameleon should now boot and you can select XP if you want.

Hope this guide helps anyone to install xp on their machines. I prefer XP under vmware (it is faster) as boot camp.

Regards / Saludos.

Original Post:
I just want to install XP in the second partition of my HDD. I tried to install it using IDE mode instead of AHCI in order to load the driver after the install (no FDD here) but I keep getting BSOD (unmountable_boot_volume; HAL.dll missing; page data fault and so on).
I edited the boot.ini, XP loading page appears but BSOD after that.

Is this due to the GUID partition table? I read that OSX creates an hybrid partition when you make a FAT32 partition using Disk Utility. Is there any guide to install it or should I go with Win7? Should I try reformatting all the HDD? :banghead:

Thanks for your comments.

Attachments

• motherboard_driver_intel_sataraid_bootdisk_irst_32.zip
    264 KB · Views: 54
Re: Installing XP problems

i think, and a lot of folks on the board would probably concur, you're better of installing the XP on a separate drive versus on an another partition of the OSX drive. drives now are pretty cheap and with separate disks=> less headache.

Yes, but what is the idea os having separate hard drives if AHCI will still be activated for all drives. Or are you saying that maybe the problem is the MBR/GUID?

javimdq said:
Yes, but what is the idea os having separate hard drives if AHCI will still be activated for all drives. Or are you saying that maybe the problem is the MBR/GUID?

Of course you cannot intall XP on a GUID-formatted hard-drive, even if you turn on IDE.
You will more than likely hose your OSX install as well, if you already installed.

Your choices:
1)for AHCI you can slipstream the drivers to your XP install disk, using "nlite"... so you do not need a floppy for the drivers at install. You can keep all the controllers set to AHCI for OSX on another drive, but chameleon as a bootloader will not see the XP-install on a different MBR-drive. (you'd have to use the F12 trick or tinker with other bootloaders).

2) modify the OSX install.pkg so that SL will install on MBR...(google for instructions) but this can get very messy, and you probably can't use the current Chameleon on MBR

3)Use Parallels. Many people are very happy with this solution.

4) There is even someone who has modified BootCamp for Hackintosh. Never tried it, but go ahead and search for it.

good luck.

ninetto said:
Your choices:
1)for AHCI you can slipstream the drivers to your XP install disk, using "nlite"... so you do not need a floppy for the drivers at install. You can keep all the controllers set to AHCI for OSX on another drive, but chameleon as a bootloader will not see the XP-install on a different MBR-drive. (you'd have to use the F12 trick or tinker with other bootloaders).

Thanks. I already done this with nlite with the AHCI preboot drivers I downloaded from Gigabyte. Well, I checked the page again and there are two drivers:

- GIGABYTE SATA2 Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode)
- Intel SATA RAID Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode)

I do not remember which one I used.
Ninetto, do you know which is the correct one? Thanks!!!

Edited with a guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back