Contribute
Register

How To Install Lion 10.7.4 & windows 7 on HP Probook 4530s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for posting and sharing the help,
before seeing your comments, I have reinstall the systems, what I did is

1- Formated the HD by the mac disk utility and partitioned it into 3 Partition named {OS X,DATA,WINDOWS7}
2- I installed the Lion, on the OS X Partiton, and I didn't install anything on mac , then I get the Windows 7 CD and booted with it, first I it tell me to format the Windows7 Partition into NTFS,
So I formatted it into NTFS , then I started the installation.
Now I Have Lion and Windows 7 Installed on the Laptop..
when I turn on my laptop .. it boot to windows 7,

Previous Installations tests, I installed the "HP Probook Installer" , it didn't help me to make Lion Boot without USB …

What I need now is how to make a Dual Booting Screen

Thank you all for helping me...
:)

RehabMan said:
First of all, here are the steps to get gptsync.
1) Run Linux from your Live CD/USB, I used 12.04LTS (Precise Pangolin)
2) Find the Ubuntu Software Center (it is 8 icons down from top - the "shopping bag")
3) Go into Edit.Software Sources (you will need to move the mouse to the top of the screen to allow the menu bar to appear)
4) Check 'Community-maintained free and open-source software (universe), close the dialog, then close the Software Center app.
5) Now get into terminal by going to Dash Home (top icon) and typing 'Term' (it will do a spotlight-like search)
6) Once in terminal, first type:
sudo apt-get update
7) Then type:
sudo apt-get install gptsync
(Step 6 is not mentioned in many of the guides you will find, but evidently you have to do it otherwise the system will tell you that gptsync was not found)
Now you have gptsync installed on your system.
8) Now you can run gptsync
gptsync /dev/sda
Note: this assumes the hardisk you want to sync is /dev/sda, if you are unsure which device is the one you wish to sync, spend some in gparted (go to Dash Home and type gparted, then run). Alternatively you can run 'sudo parted' from the terminal to look at your disks/partitions and determine the correct device name.

When I ran gptsync on my main SSD it found one inconsistency where the MBR partition had my last partition as NTFS/HPFS instead of FAT32 (I actually think it is exFAT, but OK...). I let it fix this. Here is the output:

Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gptsync /dev/sda

Current GPT partition table:
 #      Start LBA      End LBA  Type
 1             40       409639  EFI System (FAT)
 2         415744    148035583  Mac OS X HFS+
 3      148297728    324341759  Basic Data
 4      324341760    500117503  Basic Data

Current MBR partition table:
 # A    Start LBA      End LBA  Type
 1              1       409639  ee  EFI Protective
 2         415744    148035583  af  Mac OS X HFS+
 3 *    148297728    324341759  07  NTFS/HPFS
 4      324341760    500117503  07  NTFS/HPFS

Proposed new MBR partition table:
 2         415744    148035583  af  Mac OS X HFS+
 3 *    148297728    324341759  07  NTFS/HPFS
 4      324341760    500117503  0b  FAT32 (CHS)

May I update the MBR as printed above? [y/N] y
Yes

Writing new MBR...
MBR updated successfully!

When I ran it on my secondary HDD that lives in the laptop "upgrade bay" it showed everything in sync:
Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gptsync /dev/sdb

Current GPT partition table:
 #      Start LBA      End LBA  Type
 1             40       409639  EFI System (FAT)
 2         409640    312980863  Mac OS X HFS+
 3      313243648    625141759  Basic Data

Current MBR partition table:
 2         409640    312980863  af  Mac OS X HFS+
 3 *    313243648    625141759  07  NTFS/HPFS

So, I guess the need to sync depends on how much mucking around you do with the partitions. The HDD in my 'upgrade bay' has only been touched by OS X 'Disk Utility' as far as partitions go (until now). It has Lion and Windows 7 installed on it. Whereas with the SSD I had to do quite a bit of editing with it at the beginning to get the partitions aligned properly for SSD...

OK, now I'm going to cross my fingers and reboot to see if I can still boot Win7 and Lion from my SSD. Here's hoping this didn't break anything...

That sounds logical, actually my first hard drive repartitioning was for Windows 7 installation with 2 partition MBR layout (actually three if the EFI partition is counted) and after this I installed OSX with three (four) partition GPT layout. In such case is normal for the two tables to be different.

Sorry but I haven't Linux at now .. so if there is anotherway please?

KhaledB said:

1- Formated the HD by the mac disk utility and partitioned it into 3 Partition named {OS X,DATA,WINDOWS7}
2- I installed the Lion, on the OS X Partiton, and I didn't install anything on mac , then I get the Windows 7 CD and booted with it, first I it tell me to format the Windows7 Partition into NTFS,

Previous Installations tests, I installed the "HP Probook Installer" , it didn't help me to make Lion Boot without USB …

You need to boot up your OSX partition with the help of the Unibeast flash drive and then reinstall the Chimera boot loader. After this you will have both the OSX and Windows 7 options in the Chimera's boot menu. By default the boot loader will start the OSX partition, but you have around 3 seconds delay and if you press any key within these 3 seconds, you'll see the other options. Just run the ProBook Installer once more, but this time select only the Chimera boot loader.

KhaledB said:

That's simple. When you installed Win7, the Win7 installer overwrote your boot record for Chimera. So now you have to install Chimera again to restore the boot record for Chimera. After that you'll be able to boot either Win7 or Lion from the HDD.

So... Put your Unibeast Lion USB key back in a USB port and boot from it. Choose your Lion partition when the Chimera boot screen comes up. Then use the HP Installer or stand-alone Chimera installer to re-install Chimera to the HDD. From that point you should be able to boot from HDD into Chimera and choose either Lion or Win7.

KhaledB said:
Sorry but I haven't Linux at now .. so if there is anotherway please?
If you look around, you might find a version of gptsync built for Mac OS X, but I was not successful in finding one. I think the Linux version is also more likely to be up-to-date. It is pretty easy to create a Linux 12.04 Live USB stick, and it is a very good tool to have around. Do it and you'll be glad you did.

RehabMan said:
I think the Linux version is also more likely to be up-to-date.

Yes, it is. And there is nothing difficult to make your own Ubuntu Live flash drive. This program can do it for you, the only thing you have to do is to select the flash drive and the ISO file and the program will do the rest. It can also download the Ubuntu ISO optionally. To make Ubuntu Live flash drive from the CD ISO version, you need flash drive 1 GB or bigger.

I tried to install HP Probook Installer 4 ..
I turned the laptop on, it start boot, I see something like ' boot GPT' …
and then it boot to windows, I tried to use usb for boot, it boot to mac but after the apple appears .. then I wait for seconds .. the screen converted to blue and "near to green" colors,
I think this problem because I selected the '1080' option when I installed the installer 4..
I`m sorry, ..how to remove the 1080 option and how to solve ' boot GPT' problem

I Re-Installed the Lion again to fix the problem .. I installed the HP Probook Installer 4,
I install the Chimera-1.10.0 standalone .. then I rebooted .. it didn't boot to lion …
this message appears
boot0:GPT
boot0:Done
then it disappear and the laptop booted to Windows 7

How to solve this !?

KhaledB said:
I Re-Installed the Lion again to fix the problem .. I installed the HP Probook Installer 4,
I install the Chimera-1.10.0 standalone .. then I rebooted .. it didn't boot to lion …
this message appears
boot0:Done
then it disappear and the laptop booted to Windows 7

How to solve this !?
When you installed Windows, did you do an MBR install or GPT install?
It sounds like you did GPT install by booting the Win7 install media in GPT mode.
You want MBR install.
Are you using Win7 install DVD or USB key?
If you're using the Win7 install DVD, make sure to select normal boot (at HP BIOS boot selection screen) from 'upgrade bay' not 'upgrade bay (UEFI)'. I can't really help much other than that as I did my Win7 install from USB key (MBR).

I found installing Win7 in UEFI mode caused all kinds of trouble... I must have installed/re-installed Lion and Win7 5+ (or more... lost count) times...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back