Contribute
Register

How to identify annoying notification sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i5 9400F
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Slightly embarrassed to ask for help on such a trivial matter, but my OCD is getting the better of me :oops:

I have a notification sound that plays a couple of times a day, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is playing it!

I have looked in system/library/sounds and it is not any of the sounds in there.

I don't know how to begin describing the sound either. Anyone have any clever ideas on identifying this? Is there something I can do straight after it plays to identify it? :banghead:

Take a look under System Preferences > Notifications. It will tell you what Apps makes sounds and what notifies you with Badges or Banners. Mail makes kind of a dull ding when its checked for new messages, even if there isn't a new message. Open Mail, hit the envelope and wait for a few seconds. See if it's the sound that you're hearing.

Take a look under System Preferences > Notifications. It will tell you what Apps makes sounds and what notifies you with Badges or Banners. Mail makes kind of a dull ding when its checked for new messages, even if there isn't a new message. Open Mail and hit the envelope and wait for a few seconds. See if it's the sound that you're hearing.

Hi WW - It's not Mail, that I do know.

I've already looked in System Preferences > Notifications and can see which Apps have the "Play sound for notifications" box checked. Trouble is, there's 25 Apps in there and although I could uncheck all sounds and then re enable them one by one, it would probably take ages to identify the sound. I wish there was a way to play the notification sound associated with each App in the notification centre. Would make this task so much easier!

Hi WW - It's not Mail, that I do know.

I've already looked in System Preferences > Notifications and can see which Apps have the "Play sound for notifications" box checked. Trouble is, there's 25 Apps in there and although I could uncheck all sounds and then re enable them one by one, it would probably take ages to identify the sound. I wish there was a way to play the notification sound associated with each App in the notification centre. Would make this task so much easier!

Set every notification to Banner, that way it will appear shortly after the sound that you seem to love so much :lol:

Set every notification to Banner, that way it will appear shortly after the sound that you seem to love so much :lol:

Genius idea. See, I knew there would be a simple way. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back