Contribute
Register

How to get Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 4GB almost fully working with High Sierra 10.13.2 - Even HDMI audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-OC0.8.6
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
What works:

Metal graphics
Color 30 bits
2 HDMI ports (Audio + video)
2 DisplayPort ports (Audio + video)
Correct model card in system info.

What possibly works:

1 DVI-D port (I can’t be able to test it as I don’t own a monitor with this port)

What don’t works:

With 10.13.2 update, sleep / wake up don’t work for me (I’ll appreciate some help and info about this)

My specs:

Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU: i7 3770K
GPU: Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 4GB
Clover bootloader: r4334 (Using a MacPro6,1 SMBIOS definition)

BIOS settings:

iGPU: Disabled
Primary GFX: PEG / PCIe (The discrete card connected to the PCIe x16 port)

Clover config settings:

This is for perfect match with the actual card, if you don’t want to apply it, system info will show AMD Radeon R9 xxx (just a cosmetic issue).
* In Devices add this:

<key>AddProperties</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Device</key>
<string>ATI</string>
<key>Key</key>
<string>model</string>
<key>Value</key>
<string>AMD Radeon RX580</string>
</dict>
</array>

* In ACPI:

<key>DropTables</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>MATS</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>DMAR</string>
</dict>
</array>

* In Graphics:

<key>FBName</key>
<string>Orinoco</string>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<true/>
<key>Intel</key>
<false/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>RadeonDeInit</key>
<true/>

The sleep / wake up problem was fixed sometime ago, but in 10.13.2 update seems like was introduced again, if anybody knows how to resolve it, please let me know.

Last edited:
you didn't use whatevergreen ?

My specs:

Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU: i7 3770K
GPU: Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 4GB
Clover bootloader: r4334 (Using a MacPro6,1 SMBIOS definition)
Your SMBIOS definition is incorrect for your CPU and Z77X motherboard. It should be iMac13,2.
I have the same CPU & very similar motherboard with Nitro+ RX580 8GB. I do not have any sleep issues.
I do not use RadeonDeinit or whatever green but have my own SSDT.aml that inits the RX580, enables the Orinoco frame buffer, names the GPU and enables HDMI audio.

You have not specified the number of video ports in your config.plist Graphics section. Add VideoPorts=5 and try that.
Failing that, disable RadeonDeInit & AddProperties and use Lilu+whatevergreen kexts.
Failing that, wait for 10.13.4 to be released and you should not have this issue.

Your SMBIOS definition is incorrect for your CPU and Z77X motherboard. It should be iMac13,2.
I have the same CPU & very similar motherboard with Nitro+ RX580 8GB. I do not have any sleep issues.
I do not use RadeonDeinit or whatever green but have my own SSDT.aml that inits the RX580, enables the Orinoco frame buffer, names the GPU and enables HDMI audio.

You have not specified the number of video ports in your config.plist Graphics section. Add VideoPorts=5 and try that.
Failing that, disable RadeonDeInit & AddProperties and use Lilu+whatevergreen kexts.
Failing that, wait for 10.13.4 to be released and you should not have this issue.

can you attach your config please we have the same mobo/cpu and I'm about to buy RX580 (getting out of the nvidia life)
thanks

High Sierra has sleep/wake-up broken for 10.13.2/.3. The .4 update coming real soon now is suppose to fix the problem.

can you attach your config please we have the same mobo/cpu and I'm about to buy RX580 (getting out of the nvidia life)
thanks
My config file will not help you as it's specific to my motherboard which requires a custom DSDT.aml + SSDT-RX580.aml file to work. That is, even if I post it here you will not be able to use it without your own DSDT.aml

My config file will not help you as it's specific to my motherboard which requires a custom DSDT.aml + SSDT-RX580.aml file to work. That is, even if I post it here you will not be able to use it without your own DSDT.aml

Do the fans turn off in idle of your Sapphire Nitro+ AMD RX580 8GB?

Do the fans turn off in idle of your Sapphire Nitro+ AMD RX580 8GB?
Yes they do. They get faster under load (as temp rises).
Try the openGL monitor app (part of Xcode developer test tool).
(choose the parameters to chart from the right-side list by double-clicking)

Attachments

• OpenGL Driver Monitor.app.zip
    990.3 KB · Views: 134
Yes they do. They get faster under load (as temp rises).
Try the openGL monitor app (part of Xcode developer test tool).
(choose the parameters to chart from the right-side list by double-clicking)
I have now removed the custom ssdt , radeondeinit and any graphic related patch in clover, now they turn off.
What is teh suggested way to use an Sapphire Nitro+ AMD RX580 8GB these days under Mojave ?

I have now removed the custom ssdt , radeondeinit and any graphic related patch in clover, now they turn off.
What is teh suggested way to use an Sapphire Nitro+ AMD RX580 8GB these days under Mojave ?

If you are not familiar with custom SSDT, your better off installing latest Lilu.kext with Whatevergreen kext (which will workout what to patch and e.g. get your HDMI audio working which is broken according to your IOREG).

Released Mojave has taken RX580 backwards (for encode/decode functions) but can be botched to make it work,
To enable encode/decode see this post (install dummy141.kext).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back