Contribute
Register

How to get my old 30" Cinema HD to work with a new hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i5-4460
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
How to get working my old 30" Cinema HD with a new hackintosh?

I have an old 30" Cinema HD (2560 x 1600) with DVI interface. Hackintosh build:

Core i5-4460
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H
Crucial Ballistix Tactical (16GB)
Seasonic S12G 650W

The system works good with a 1080p display, connected to integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600 via HDMI, running OS X 10.11.2.

I have also got ASUS GeForce GTX 750 (GTX750-PHOC-1GD5) and ZOTAC GeForce GTX 650 Ti (ZT-61101-10M), but none of these card show even BIOS boot up screen with the Cinema HD. Both cards work fine in Windows. The monitor works fine with my old Mac Pro 1,1 (GeForce GT 430 on board).

I noticed, that in the Buyer's Guide says: “graphics resolutions greater than 1080p at 60hz resolution require DisplayPort”. Mine graphic cards have no DisplayPort. Does it mean, that I have to buy a graphic card with DisplayPort and use a DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI-D adapter in order to get working system?

Thanks.

Thanks for the answer, but the essence of my problem just lies in the fact that dual-link DVI is not working.

I have a working monitor 2560 x 1600 (I'm using it right now on Mac Pro 1,1), 3 working video cards with dual-link DVI ports (GeForce GT 430, GTX 650 Ti and GTX 750), and 2 good motherboards (Gigabyte GA-Z97X- UD3H and GA-B85M-D3H). 30" Cinema HD runs only on Mac Pro 1,1 (GeForce GT 430 or GTX 650 Ti). I tried all the possible combinations.

I have no idea how it can be like: all the ingredients are good, but they do not work together.

http://www.everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_cinema_display_30.html says:

This model uses the industry standard DVI (Digital Video Interface) and requires a Mac or Windows PC equipped with a dual-link DVI port.

So what's the deal?

I've used exactly the same display with many different GPUs (e.g. GTX 570, GTX 760, HD 5770, R9 280), all of them worked flawless.
Might be a bad cable?

Did you try booting with a 2nd screen plugged in? Does the Cinema Display appear in the system profiler?

Well, let us suppose it is the cable, especially that sometimes the monitor shows BIOS logo screen (sometimes in three rows). But it is unclear why when connected to Mac Pro cable becomes fully operational.

The Cinema Display never appears in the system profiler (I just flashed my ASUS GTX 750 and can boot now OS X 10.11.2 with a 1080p display, connected via HDMI).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back