Contribute
Register

How to get Atheros AR9462 Bluetooth working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Elite x2 1012 G1
CPU
Intel Core M5-6Y54, 1.1GHz
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 515
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have an Atheros AR9462 wifi/bluetooth card installed in my Acer S3-391 laptop. I know this card is not supported, but I cannot replace it as it is soldered to the motherboard. However, I have read that some users with the same wifi card have gotten the bluetooth to function. On my laptop, the Bluetooth device shows up in the System Report, but I cannot connect any devices. I have attached a screenshot and my IOReg output. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• MacBook Pro.ioreg
    1.5 MB · Views: 184
  • USB Bluetooth grab.tiff
    117.9 KB · Views: 207
  • Bluetooth.tiff
    219.4 KB · Views: 212
I have an Atheros AR9462 wifi/bluetooth card installed in my Acer S3-391 laptop. I know this card is not supported, but I cannot replace it as it is soldered to the motherboard. However, I have read that some users with the same wifi card have gotten the bluetooth to function. On my laptop, the Bluetooth device shows up in the System Report, but I cannot connect any devices. I have attached a screenshot and my IOReg output. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Try booting into Windows first (to see if it loads firmware), then restart into OS X.

Try booting into Windows first (to see if it loads firmware), then restart into OS X.

I replaced the drive with an SSD and did not install windows. I have a windows install USB, but do not want to install windows. I don't think it will work, but will booting to the windows installer; quitting, then reboot to OS X work to check firmware?

I replaced the drive with an SSD and did not install windows. I have a windows install USB, but do not want to install windows. I don't think it will work, but will booting to the windows installer; quitting, then reboot to OS X work to check firmware?

Install Windows for testing. You must have working bluetooth drivers in Windows for the test to be valid.

Install Windows for testing. You must have working bluetooth drivers in Windows for the test to be valid.

Bummer. Not sure if I will get to that, but thanks for the quick response RehabMan.

Bummer. Not sure if I will get to that, but thanks for the quick response RehabMan.

Depends on how motivated you are to determine the problem, I guess.

Depends on how motivated you are to determine the problem, I guess.

Ok, so I forgot I had a 20GB mSATA drive on this laptop that was not being used. So I installed Windows 8.1 to that drive and now have dual boot. I have verified that after booting into Windows, then restarting and booting Yosemite, my bluetooth works fully and I was able to pair a bluetooth mouse. Now that I have verified it works after loading in Windows, is there a method to enable the bluetooth without having to boot into Windows first? Thanks.

Ok, so I forgot I had a 20GB mSATA drive on this laptop that was not being used. So I installed Windows 8.1 to that drive and now have dual boot. I have verified that after booting into Windows, then restarting and booting Yosemite, my bluetooth works fully and I was able to pair a bluetooth mouse. Now that I have verified it works after loading in Windows, is there a method to enable the bluetooth without having to boot into Windows first? Thanks.

You would need to find a bluetooth firmware uploader for your hardware.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a good one. BTFirmwareUploader.kext is known to be buggy and cause problem on wake from sleep (and it is closed-source, so not much chance of it getting fixed).

There is my IOath3kfrmwr.kext, which probably doesn't support your device. Your device could probably be added if you have some C++/kext development skills.

Given that the WiFi part on that card isn't supported, most would simply replace the card to have WiFi and better bluetooth support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back