Contribute
Register

How to enable USB 3.0 on a hackintosh with Lion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lion 10.7.5
CPU
I7 2700K
Graphics
Gygabite GTX 560 OC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello great people of Tonymacx86,

I recently build my first hackintosh.
I stuck to tonymacs hardware recommendations and installing Lion was a breeze.

The only thing not working is Usb 3.0.
Does anybody know a fix for this, did i do something wrong in Multibeast?

Thank you in advance.

killerqueen44 said:

Thank you in advance.

Normally getting USB 3.0 working (through the NEC/Renesas driver in MultiBeast) is a double-edged sword: you gain USB 3.0 but lose sleep.

I am the same here all working fine however i have no usb 3 devices to try, would just plugging in a usb 2 device work, if it pics its up then i guess it working ok? can anyone shed some light on this subject?

knouroozi said:
killerqueen44 said:

Thank you in advance.

Normally getting USB 3.0 working (through the NEC/Renesas driver in MultiBeast) is a double-edged sword: you gain USB 3.0 but lose sleep.

Hello knouroozi,
thanks for the reply.

Sorry if I seem a bit Slow, but with loosing "Sleep" do you mean the Sleep funktion in Lion or do you mean it is very complicated to get it to work so I might lose actual Sleep over it :D

If I am in danger of ruining my stable Hackintosh I might just leave it. Still would be nice to get USB 3.0 working. So I can work straight of my external Hard drives.

olies said:
I am the same here all working fine however i have no usb 3 devices to try, would just plugging in a usb 2 device work, if it pics its up then i guess it working ok? can anyone shed some light on this subject?

Yes If it picks up the Usb 2 device it should be working.
Could you let us know if it works?

Thanks.

killerqueen44 said:
olies said:

Yes If it picks up the Usb 2 device it should be working.
Could you let us know if it works?

Thanks.

yes i will mate, i am planing on doing a run through of everything i did to get my machine up and running with everything attached etc. got a few more bits to do before that tho :)

killerqueen44 said:
knouroozi said:
killerqueen44 said:

Thank you in advance.

Hello knouroozi,
thanks for the reply.

Sorry if I seem a bit Slow, but with loosing "Sleep" do you mean the Sleep funktion in Lion or do you mean it is very complicated to get it to work so I might lose actual Sleep over it :D

If I am in danger of ruining my stable Hackintosh I might just leave it. Still would be nice to get USB 3.0 working. So I can work straight of my external Hard drives.

By sleep I mean the sleep function where your computer turns off but keeps some power going to the RAM so that you can resume quickly.

At least on my motherboard, enabling USB 3.0 will have sleep only work the first time after boot, and going to sleep resulting in a black screen but with the computer on, which can only be resolved with a hard reset (turning the PSU off for 10 seconds, then restarting). It took me a year and a half to realize that the reason for my broken sleep was USB 3.0, but now I'm happy :).

Try enabling USB 3.0 by installing the NEC/Renesas driver, but if you see that it breaks sleep, evaluate your options (i.e. USB 3.0 + one sleep per boot, or no USB 3.0 but unlimited sleep per boot). Only Z77 boards support USB 3.0 without the needs of any drivers (although you do need BridgeHelper), and using it will not mess with sleep.

By sleep I mean the sleep function where your computer turns off but keeps some power going to the RAM so that you can resume quickly.

At least on my motherboard, enabling USB 3.0 will have sleep only work the first time after boot, and going to sleep resulting in a black screen but with the computer on, which can only be resolved with a hard reset (turning the PSU off for 10 seconds, then restarting). It took me a year and a half to realize that the reason for my broken sleep was USB 3.0, but now I'm happy :).

Try enabling USB 3.0 by installing the NEC/Renesas driver, but if you see that it breaks sleep, evaluate your options (i.e. USB 3.0 + one sleep per boot, or no USB 3.0 but unlimited sleep per boot). Only Z77 boards support USB 3.0 without the needs of any drivers (although you do need BridgeHelper), and using it will not mess with sleep.[/quote]

Thank you very much for the Information.
I will try the NEC/Renesas driver and see what happens.
Thanks again!

My experience with PXHCD.kext on my ProBook was just like the warning included in MultiBeast, although I was at least able to boot fine.

I would get KP from the Desktop instead, and sometimes the device unplugging itself triggering the warning.

For me it's not worth the loss of stability, and since my USB 3 drive is NTFS anyways, it won't write to it any faster over USB 3 instead of 2.

I haven't tested much with my Z68 mobo yet but I might try soon.

My question is whether there is anyone working on this kext right now, I wonder how much work it might take to make a stable USB 3.0 kext for pre-Z77 mobos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back