Contribute
Register

How to enable HD4600 in Ventura for the Dell Optiplex 7020/9020

did anyone get the rapid security response update notification?
i did not have it yet
i do not know why
I am running haswell with OCLP and I neither received the update, I guess is something related to OCLP or SIP disabled, we probably will need to wait to 13.4 that is coming very soon.

hello guys first of all i want to thank u all for your tips

i follow the great guide of @trs96 i start with big sur then upgrade to monterey. everything works like a charm

Tried upgrade to Ventura but the system was old so i decide to change to 18.3 as the post suggest

when i restart the system offer me upgrade to ventura which i did .
i had the same problem as @zjkarim . Accelarate of windows was very slowly even after the sip dissable AND OCLP patch .
When i change the system to MacMini 8.1 as suggested worked like charm .

i understand 100% what @trs96 said that the system will understand CPU is different so the voltage temperature will be a mess but i didnt find out wiered things so far .

this is the screenshot of 1m recording with quicktime (what i did inside that recording : open chrome play a video on youtube , open randomly windows like system settings etc)

So far i got checked 100% that i m on OC9.0 with OCLP 6.1 patches
i update OC auto with OCAuciliaryTools and manually when i tried to find out whats the problem with the Acceleration
also i updated Kexts with OCAuciliaryTools via Sync Tool

i m not sure who s EFIs used (@trs96 or joostiphone from github )

i got 9020 usff
3690s
hd4600 1536 (big sur and monterey was 1,5g not 2gb as u guys , i think because we use different EFI)
8gb
ssd
I also had a same issue.Thanks for your advice. It worked . While it was at 18 3 the graphics is not working well . I find glitching after I changed it to 18,1 it is fine .

I am running haswell with OCLP and I neither received the update, I guess is something related to OCLP or SIP disabled, we probably will need to wait to 13.4 that is coming very soon.
yes, it seems to be that
waiting for major update 13.4

Screenshot 1945-02-26 at 7.34.25 PM.png

While running a video at 4k Mac OS Ventura is taking 88% of the cpu and it is heating up so fast.

While running a video at 4k Mac OS Ventura is taking 88% of the cpu and it is heating up so fast.
Is it the 9020 USFF model you have ? It's probably because Haswell systems and HD4600 were never designed to run Ventura or to stream 4K videos. Haswell is from the 2013/14 Intel Era and Ventura is optimized for Apple Silicon in 2022/23. Thats a long gap of time between hardware and software. The best hardware choice for Ventura would be at least a 10th gen Intel system with a 6 core i5 or i7 CPU.

updated to the latest 13.4

testing it, i hope that it's work
Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 3.01.58 PM.png

yes, it seems to be that
waiting for major update 13.4
I solved the updates issue, hilariously it has nothing related to OCLP, it is just I was missing the RestrictEvents kext, that is mandatory when you use a T2 smbios. I use iMacPro1,1 with a haswell cpu.

Now I am receiving OTA updates again without any issue!

Was it your case?

Has anyone had trouble installing the Dropbox app after 13.3.1 and 13.4? The latest Dropbox revision moves the Dropbox folder to a new subfolder in User/Library, CloudStorage. But the revision also doesn't play well with going back to HD 4600 using OpenCore Legacy Patcher. Dropbox keeps crashing and when you reinstall, the installer crashes.

On a related note, my Optiplex 9020 USFF has a REKONG BCM94360HMB card inside. I was able to get it to work with BrcmPatchRAM 2.66 in both the EFI/OC/Kexts folder. 13.4 broke it but there is a semi-working workaround using some config edits and a new 2.67 beta.

Tried Sonoma on my 9020 OptiMac and the OCLP 1.3.0 root patches do work for HD4600 graphics. I can tell that they aren't as smooth as when running Monterey using Macmini7,1. Didn't try to get Broadcom wifi working yet.

Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 7.38.00 PM.png

You can certainly watch 4K YT videos if you have fast enough internet.

Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 8.01.40 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 7.57.10 PM.png

Last edited:
If you want Firefox, Drop Box and other 3rd party apps to work with Sonoma, it's important to use a specific kext to enable programs like this to run.

Miliuco has posted this regarding use of the AMFIPass.kext.

AMFI must be enabled to grant third-party applications access to privacy-relevant services and/or peripherals, such as external cameras and microphones. But, with SIP and/or AMFI disabled (a necessary condition to apply OCLP root patches) the dialog box to grant access to those applications is not shown to the user so those peripherals simply cannot be used in applications like Zoom or MS Teams, for example.

AMFI is usually enabled but it has already been seen that OCLP root patches require disabling AMFI and SIP in order to be applied. To avoid the problem of peripherals not working with third-party applications, the OCLP team has developed the AMFIPass.kext extension that allows AMFI to be enabled when the system must operate with AMFI and SIP disabled, such as when using OCLP or applying root patches. This fixes the permissions issue and OCLP can apply the patches as if AMFI were disabled.

If macOS has previously given permissions to these third-party applications and then AMFI and/or SIP is disabled, these permissions are transferred and the new system maintains them. But in a clean installation they do not exist. This is the main problem that AMFIPass.kext tries to solve. Being able to root patch OCLP with AMFI enabled is just a positive side effect.

In summary, when applying OCLP root patches you can act in 2 different ways:
  • with boot argument amfi=0x80 without AMFIPass.kext. amfi=0x80 is a bitmask that disables AMFI completely. The value 0x80 is equivalent to AMFI_ALLOW_EVERYTHING
  • with AMFIPass.kext removing amfi=0x80 and adding -amfipassbeta in boot args.
The -amfipassbeta boot argument is provided by AMFIPass.kext to override kernel version checking, so that the extension is loaded regardless of the macOS version. This way AMFIPass can work on macOS beta for which the extension does not yet have support.

I use AMFIPass.kext, removing amfi=0x80. If OCLP root patching fails due to this setting, I temporarily disable AMFI with the boot argument amfi=0x80, apply the patches, reboot, remove amfi=0x80, and reboot again.

Back