Contribute
Register

How to enable HD4600 in Ventura for the Dell Optiplex 7020/9020

It looks like the HD4600 iGPU isn't running at the same frequencies that Intel has stated it should. The idle is 750 MHz and the max you got in blender is close to 1.2 GHz some of the time but averages 890 Mhz. See the Intel specs below. It seems to be working ok but it's not ideal. You're using more energy than a 4770 normally would. The CPU temps are certainly in range. Speedstep probably isn't working as good as it would if you were using an SMBIOS that supported Haswell. These are not critical problems that might possibly affect your CPU in a negative way. It's good to be aware of what's happening though so you can monitor CPU performance.

Intel® HD Graphics 4600

Graphics Base Frequency
350 MHz

Graphics Max Dynamic Frequeuency
1.20 GHz

Last edited:
It looks like the HD4600 iGPU isn't running at the same frequencies that Intel has stated it should. The idle is 750 MHz and the max you got in blender is close to 1.2 GHz some of the time but averages 890 Mhz. See the Intel specs below. It seems to be working ok but it's not ideal. You're using more energy than a 4770 normally would. The CPU temps are certainly in range. Speedstep probably isn't working as good as it would if you were using an SMBIOS that supported Haswell. These are not critical problems that might possibly affect your CPU in a negative way. It's good to be aware of what's happening though so you can monitor CPU performance.

Intel® HD Graphics 4600

Graphics Base Frequency
350 MHz

Graphics Max Dynamic Frequeuency
1.20 GHz
thanks a lot for your explanation

Here's the questions I have about what is going on in this thread. Don't know if any of you have answers but you could post your Intel power gadget screenshots for me to look at. Do something like a screen recording and have IPG running at the same time.

You are using OCLP to make HD4600 work in Ventura because there is no native support. You use Macmini8,1 which operates on UHD630 graphics. Device Properties has an entry for HD4600, not UHD630 which is what Ventura "'expects" from a 2018 Mac mini. That newer Macmini's CPU power mgt. is designed for a Coffe Lake CPU not Haswell which is about 4years older. Because you have to break the SSV and disable SIP to do all this, system stability and security won't be as good as when using Monterey or older macOS versions like Catalina or Big Sur.

Does this have any consequences with longer term use ? Will the CPU run hotter ? More programs not work correctly. All things to think about. Interested to hear some other insights and opinions.
I tried to do this this morning but I don't have a webcam so I was unable to do a screen recording (makes no sense to me either)! Is there anything else that I can do that taxes the system and post the results?

I tried to do this this morning but I don't have a webcam so I was unable to do a screen recording
You make a screen recording using the Quicktime app, not a webcam.

Find it in the Other folder in Applications.

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 9.43.41 AM.png

You make a screen recording using the Quicktime app, not a webcam.

Find it in the Other folder in Applications.

View attachment 562199
lol, you must think i'm an idiot, sorry about that.
When I did it previously and saw the dotted line of the recording, I thought it was just a screen capture. Doh!
I will do it and give the results when I get home tonight.

Here's are my screenshots. Let me know what you think and what it means.

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 7.04.25 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-01-19 at 7.30.51 PM.png

hello guys first of all i want to thank u all for your tips

i follow the great guide of @trs96 i start with big sur then upgrade to monterey. everything works like a charm

Tried upgrade to Ventura but the system was old so i decide to change to 18.3 as the post suggest

when i restart the system offer me upgrade to ventura which i did .
i had the same problem as @zjkarim . Accelarate of windows was very slowly even after the sip dissable AND OCLP patch .
When i change the system to MacMini 8.1 as suggested worked like charm .

i understand 100% what @trs96 said that the system will understand CPU is different so the voltage temperature will be a mess but i didnt find out wiered things so far .

this is the screenshot of 1m recording with quicktime (what i did inside that recording : open chrome play a video on youtube , open randomly windows like system settings etc)

So far i got checked 100% that i m on OC9.0 with OCLP 6.1 patches
i update OC auto with OCAuciliaryTools and manually when i tried to find out whats the problem with the Acceleration
also i updated Kexts with OCAuciliaryTools via Sync Tool

i m not sure who s EFIs used (@trs96 or joostiphone from github )

i got 9020 usff
3690s
hd4600 1536 (big sur and monterey was 1,5g not 2gb as u guys , i think because we use different EFI)
8gb
ssd

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 5.14.18 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 5.14.18 PM.png
    293.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
hello guys first of all i want to thank u all for your tips

i follow the great guide of @trs96 i start with big sur then upgrade to monterey. everything works like a charm

Tried upgrade to Ventura but the system was old so i decide to change to 18.3 as the post suggest

when i restart the system offer me upgrade to ventura which i did .
i had the same problem as @zjkarim . Accelarate of windows was very slowly even after the sip dissable AND OCLP patch .
When i change the system to MacMini 8.1 as suggested worked like charm .

i understand 100% what @trs96 said that the system will understand CPU is different so the voltage temperature will be a mess but i didnt find out wiered things so far .

this is the screenshot of 1m recording with quicktime (what i did inside that recording : open chrome play a video on youtube , open randomly windows like system settings etc)

So far i got checked 100% that i m on OC9.0 with OCLP 6.1 patches
i update OC auto with OCAuciliaryTools and manually when i tried to find out whats the problem with the Acceleration
also i updated Kexts with OCAuciliaryTools via Sync Tool

i m not sure who s EFIs used (@trs96 or joostiphone from github )

i got 9020 usff
3690s
hd4600 1536 (big sur and monterey was 1,5g not 2gb as u guys , i think because we use different EFI)
8gb
ssd
This worked for me. The only thing that isn't working so well are the screensavers for Ventura and Monterey--and I still have 1536 MB of VRAM. I also have wifi and bluetooth using a Fenvi-branded Azurewave AW-CB160H BCM94360HMB.

Last edited:
did anyone get the rapid security response update notification?
i did not have it yet
i do not know why

@trs96 @joostiphone Does it is really the GPU is accelerated. The stage manager is also not working in it.
Screenshot 1945-02-25 at 11.15.11 AM.png

Back