Contribute
Register

How to Dual Boot Windows 7 and Mac Os X Lion on 2 HD's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeh between the <dict> </dict>
you should already have some key/string entries, just follow them

hi there

I have read with interest your posts,

just wrote the "instant menu" command into chameleon boot plist, and has worked great for me, I now get my three drive choices up without having click enter on the first boot up screen.

thanks

all the best

Dave

I've found the easiest way to dual-boot on my system was to use a spare USB key as the OSX bootloader. Having each OS installation on their own hard drive would also be swell.

I set my BIOS to first boot from a USB HDD when available, otherwise it'll go straight to the drive with Windows 7 installed. On my USB key I installed the latest Chameleon (Chimera will do) and copied over the DSDT and Extensions from the EFI partition. Then it is as simple as editing the boot.plist file to point to the OSX drive first, with a 1 second timeout.

With no USB key inserted the machine will boot straight to Windows 7. With the USB key it'll go to OSX after a quick countdown, though if I'm quick enough I can select to boot to my 10.6 installation as well. That way I can decide before I even turn on the computer which system I want to load, instead of waiting for the entire BIOS to cycle through and selecting before the timeout screen is gone.

And if anything were to go wrong, I still have the hidden EFI partition on the OSX drive to boot into that system.

Hi! I have a problem. My windows 7 doesn´t work (bootmrg is missing) so I have to rescue it but… if I do it, Could I have any problem with my MacOsx partition?

My hackintosh works very well…

Thanks!

hi
my computer have:
System: Z68X-UD4-B3 s1155 Core i3/i5/i7, Intel Z68, DDR3 2133, 2xPCI-E?
CPU: Core i7 2600K 3.4Ghz, s1155, 8MB
Graphics: HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 DX11 2xDVI HDMI Mini 2xDP PCI-E
4x4GB G.Skill RipJaw Edition Quad Channel CL9-9-9-24? .
wd Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA III
SopranoRS 101 Midi Tower Series Black

i installed lion on separate wd Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA III and worked fine

then installed windows 7 64bit on another hdd segate 500gb sata3 and work fine

put the tow drives together everything is fine

now i am facing slowness in windows performance

i can't find why is it drivers or what

the windows doesn't act like powerful computer

does this got something to do with ACHI!!!???

@Samisnake

I added the "instant menu" strings and it did not for work? Is because I have this line before it?

<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Also, on the select OS screen, I have overlapping icons? 1028 x 768 resolution.

And, how do you eliminate a choice? My Windows7 data drive is showing as a choice?

Hi Was955

we have similar Z68 systems I have all my os's working well and no apparent lack of performance,

although I don't use the windows that much now that I have Lion running like a dream, have you tried unplugging your OSX drive and seeing if your performance returns, as for AHCI I have never been back into my Bios since originally installing Snow Leopard, I then made separate install of windows7 64 bit with out making any changes in the Bios. and since installed lion on another HD, I did run Chameleon wizard to help sort out all the hd boot configurations I don't know wether this will help.

all the best Dave

I have Win7 on a 128gb SSdrive and Lion 1072 on a separate 500gb drive (with 3 partitions: lion clone, SL 1067 and Lion 1072). They all show in the boot menu.

It just happened correctly for me; doing this process. Win7 was a mature OS on it's own drive. I disconnected it; and, installed SL on a separate drive giving it the top HDD priority for booting. Installed Chimera boot loader. Later I added a partition and installed Lion using the USB drive method (iBeast). At that point, the 3 Mac OS's were on the menu.

I reconnected my Win7 SSD and my 500gb data drive and viola, all 5 are in the boot menu. Pure chance!!!! I had forgotten to change the HDD priorities!!! I had planned on using EasyBCD for windows; that, requires the Win7 as the boot drive to find the bootmgr.

Just Lucky, ha.

Finally broke down and tried installing Win7 on a separate drive without my Data or my Lion SSD drives plugged in. Even when installing with AHCI, install goes extremely slow compared to IDE. After I got it installed with AHCI, the system was barely usable. So I wiped the drive and installed it with IDE. After updating the OS and such, I did the Regedit trick to switch it to AHCI. While it works, it's still just as slow as it was when I had Win7 installed on a partition on my Data drive.

If Win7 supports AHCI at installation, then why am I seeing these issues? I suspect it's something to do with the integrated graphics. When I run the Windows Experience tests, it won't get past decoding video performance and fails. Not sure what I can do to fix that though. It's odd to me that it works just fine with IDE, but not AHCI.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back