Contribute
Register

How to dual boot windows 10 (MBR partition map)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
P8Z68-V PRO
CPU
i5-2500k
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I got two SSDs

1. high sierra (GUID/APFS)
2. Windows 10 (MBR/NTFS)

Is it possible for clover to boot the Windows 10 with an MBR partition map?
Do I need to add any info to config.list?

How can I tell if I am booting UEFI or legacy?
And how can I convert it to using UEFI?

Do I need to repartition Windows 10 ssd so that is uses GPT (Guid) before I can boot with clover?

My motherboard spec saids it has UEFI bios
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68V_PRO/

Last edited:
I got two SSDs

1. high sierra (GUID/APFS)
2. Windows 10 (MBR/NTFS)

Is it possible for clover to boot the Windows 10 with an MBR partition map?
Do I need to add any info to config.list?

How can I tell if I am booting UEFI or legacy?
And how can I convert it to using UEFI?

Do I need to repartition Windows 10 ssd so that is uses GPT (Guid) before I can boot with clover?

My motherboard spec saids it has UEFI bios
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68V_PRO/
Are you currently booting Mac OS with Chimera / Chameleon? If yes, then you have installed Mac OS Legacy Mode.
See the reply to your other post.

Are you currently booting Mac OS with Chimera / Chameleon? If yes, then you have installed Mac OS Legacy Mode.
See the reply to your other post.

No I used clover since that is what is recommended nowadays when installing high sierra.

Anyway I solved this problem.

This is a solution for others who may have same problem...

Solution:
Convert Windows 10 SSD (MBR) to GPT using the MBR2GPT.exe.

MBR2GPT.exe comes with the latest version of Windows 10, located in System32 folder.

Once you converted it to GPT, it will show up in clover boot menu.

I'm having the same problem when trying to install Windows 10 on another SSD.

In this case, can I install Windows 10 on the SSD in MBR format and should I just convert it to GPT?

I'm having the same problem when trying to install Windows 10 on another SSD.

In this case, can I install Windows 10 on the SSD in MBR format and should I just convert it to GPT?

The hardware in your profile is UEFI capable. Install Windows UEFI/GPT (one implies the other).

The hardware in your profile is UEFI capable. Install Windows UEFI/GPT (one implies the other).

Even formatting the SSD with GUID partition map, and creating a Bootable USB UEFI / GPT, at the time of installing Windows was showing an error "We Couldn't Create a New Partition or Locate an Existing One".
But I was able to solve the problem by removing all SSD and HDD and leaving only the SSD where Windows 10 would be installed.

Last edited:
Even formatting the SSD with GUID partition map, and creating a Bootable USB UEFI / GPT, at the time of installing Windows was showing an error "We Couldn't Create a New Partition or Locate an Existing One".
But I was able to solve the problem by removing all SSD and HDD and leaving only the SSD where Windows 10 would be installed.

You must boot the Windows installer in UEFI mode in order to install UEFI.

Windows is very strict:

legacy install: Boot USB installer in legacy mode, install to partition part of MBR disk.
UEFI install: Boot USB installer in UEFI mode, install to partition part of GPT disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back