Contribute
Register

How to Dual Boot Mountain Lion and Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you being sure to do a BIOS install of Windows (not UEFI)? I think it is likely you are doing a UEFI boot of the Windows DVD, and installing to a GPT drive. Instead, you should do a BIOS boot and install to MBR. Chimera can only boot a BIOS-based install of Windows. Disable UEFI in your BIOS if it does not allow you to do a BIOS boot of Windows install media.
Do you mean this? IMG_1295.JPG
Yo see WDC ( western digital my hardrive ) P3 and Uefi. THe uefi one was until now my primary boot option.....

Do you mean this? View attachment 41976
Yo see WDC ( western digital my hardrive ) P3 and Uefi. THe uefi one was until now my primary boot option.....

No. I'm talking about when you booted Windows install media (DVD or USB). You want to make sure you do not boot it in UEFI mode. If the disk your Windows install is on right now is GPT, you did a UEFI install, and you don't want that as it will not work with Chimera.

No. I'm talking about when you booted Windows install media (DVD or USB). You want to make sure you do not boot it in UEFI mode. If the disk your Windows install is on right now is GPT, you did a UEFI install, and you don't want that as it will not work with Chimera.
Yeah but where can I find that? >.< (sorry for all my questions :( ) and in Mac I made the partition Gpt /Gui for windows

Yeah but where can I find that? >.< (sorry for all my questions :( ) and in Mac I made the partition Gpt /Gui for windows

I don't know. It depends on your BIOS and we don't have the same motherboard... But certainly there is a setting in your BIOS somewhere for UEFI. Just make sure it is disabled when you install Windows (then no possibility of doing a UEFI install of Windows).

I don't know. It depends on your BIOS and we don't have the same motherboard... But certainly there is a setting in your BIOS somewhere for UEFI. Just make sure it is disabled when you install Windows (then no possibility of doing a UEFI install of Windows).
Looked everywhere , can't find it... :(

Looked everywhere , can't find it... :(

Sometimes, you can boot a device the two different ways. Hit whatever hotkey your BIOS uses (ie. F2 or F8 during post) for selection of boot device. The BIOS on my HP laptop (if I have UEFI enabled) shows me both DVD, and DVD [UEFI] as options. Make sure you are using the non UEFI boot method when booting the Windows install media.

Check that you have the latest BIOS release too..

Those are the only ideas I have...

If your BIOS truly does not have the ability to boot a device in BIOS mode (which I really doubt), then you would be forced to use a UEFI boot loader like Clover to be able to boot Windows because Chimera cannot boot Windows in UEFI mode.

Hi again !!
Now I have 10.8.4 in my SDD crucial M4 and windows 7 profesional 64 bits in another HDD SATA 7200 RPM inside my laptop cause a changed DVD for. Now to open with windows I need to open BIOS and put enabel SATA mode on IDE and When I want to open with ML I need to change in BIOS SATA MODE on AHCI, and disable graphics card swich and virtualitation tecnologic .....and then select in BIOS prioritiys (F9) third option to run with the HDD note book .....after my ML run ....There are another posibility to do that ?
thanks

Hi again !!
Now I have 10.8.4 in my SDD crucial M4 and windows 7 profesional 64 bits in another HDD SATA 7200 RPM inside my laptop cause a changed DVD for. Now to open with windows I need to open BIOS and put enabel SATA mode on IDE and When I want to open with ML I need to change in BIOS SATA MODE on AHCI, and disable graphics card swich and virtualitation tecnologic .....and then select in BIOS prioritiys (F9) third option to run with the HDD note book .....after my ML run ....There are another posibility to do that ?
thanks

For the AHCI vs. IDE: Re-install Windows with SATA enabled or follow this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Make sure you installed Windows in legacy mode so you can boot it using Chimera bootloader.

I'm not sure I understand "disable graphics card swich".

VT-d must be disabled for OS X if you CPU has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back