Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Probook 450 G5
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Hello.

I have my first hackintosh up and running w. Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and a DSDT free Multibeast 5.2.1 install with very few options checked. One of the options I had checked was TRIM support for my OCZ Vertex 4 SSD boot drive.

Now I have read that these SSDs do not need Mountain Lion TRIM enabled so I went again to Multibeast(all checkboxes were unchecked...I guess this is normal) so I checked all the options I had before EXCEPT TRIM support. I went ahead with the installation and rebooted but when I go to About this Mac > More Info > System Report > Serial-ATA I still see my OCZ Vertex 4 SSD with "TRIM support: Yes".

Am I missing something about how Multibeast works? Shouldn´t reinstalling it NOT checking the TRIM option in Multibeast have removed TRIM support?

Thank you very much for any help,
Boga

NOT checking the TRIM option in Multibeast have removed TRIM support?

Boga

Not checking anything in MB will not unistall anything. Most of the time one must remove whatever MB installs manually.

The next update Apple releases is going to (most likely) kill the trim, as it does with sound. I don't believe that trim can hurt the SSD even if it's not needed*, so after the next update when you run MB just don't select trim.

*I'm not in any way an expert on this.

Hello, I am having the same problem - cannot disable TRIM enabled with the MultiBeast.

But my reason is different: I am running my first Hackintosh for a few days without any problem. Today afternoon, I enabled the TRIM using MultiBeast (the latest version I was able to find here).

Since that, I am experiencing the computer hangs (freezes - mouse pointer moves but does not influent the GUI any way, no response on keyboard strokes at all).

The only thing is that the HDD LED is almost permanently ON.

When I reboot (hard reset) and start the Activity Monitor and look at the HDD activity, I can see that the system permanently reads the disk (approx. 24 MB/s) and the HDD LED is permanently ON.

I would also really appreciate if someone more experienced could advice here HOW TO DISABLE the TRIM.

The response "wait for the next Apple update" is not particularly satisfying for me (thank you for understanding)...

For completness: I was searching for some related topic here and I only found the hint from someone that he/she also disabled the TRIM (but for the performance reasons not the stability).

All that you need to do here is navigate to

/System/Library/Extensions/ on your OS X installation CD and copy the IOAHCIFamily.kext
file to your desktop.

Next, use Kext Wizard to install that Kext file to your current OS X installation. Make sure to restore permissions and rebuild your cache!

After a reboot, the TRIM patch will be gone as your patched kext will be replaced with the stock kext.

MultiBeast is just patching your stock IOAHCIFamily.kext to enable TRIM on non-apple supported devices. Installing the vanilla kext will get rid of this behavior.

All that you need to do here is navigate to

/System/Library/Extensions/ on your OS X installation CD and copy the IOAHCIFamily.kext
file to your desktop.

Next, use Kext Wizard to install that Kext file to your current OS X installation. Make sure to restore permissions and rebuild your cache!

After a reboot, the TRIM patch will be gone as your patched kext will be replaced with the stock kext.

MultiBeast is just patching your stock IOAHCIFamily.kext to enable TRIM on non-apple supported devices. Installing the vanilla kext will get rid of this behavior.

thanks for trying to shed some light on this...

is there a way to extract this file from the mavericks install copied to my usb thumb drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back