Graphics
nVidia GTS 450
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am trying to install OS X on my new Skylake based setup that consists of an MSI Mortar Z170m motherboard. I have one of those GUI based BIOS and there's not an entry to disable IOAPIC that I can see. Can anyone tell me how to disable that? I'm wondering if that's the issue I'm running into with installing Mac OS. Every now and then I can get the USB to boot to the installer and run an install. After I reboot and try to boot onto the USB again and select the hard drive that Mac OS is installed on it no longer runs the USB fix nor does it detect my SATA ports and of course fails to boot into Mac OS.

Also, the installer and Mac OS when I'm in it the first time only detects half of my 16GB installed RAM. Does anyone know why?

Please put your specific motherboard model, CPU model, and GPU model into the system configuration area on the left, and/or your signature. It's hard to give you good advice without having that information on hand on every post.

There is a Clover patch for IOAPIC, described in the http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/179221-skylake-starter-guide.html

The half-RAM problem is an issue with Clover. You can manually write in the values for your memory (there are also patched versions of Clover kicking around that reportedly fix the problem, but nothing official as far as I know). The Skylake Starter Guide gives an example of the memory settings to use.

Please put your specific motherboard model, CPU model, and GPU model into the system configuration area on the left, and/or your signature. It's hard to give you good advice without having that information on hand on every post.

There is a Clover patch for IOAPIC, described in the http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/179221-skylake-starter-guide.html

The half-RAM problem is an issue with Clover. You can manually write in the values for your memory (there are also patched versions of Clover kicking around that reportedly fix the problem, but nothing official as far as I know). The Skylake Starter Guide gives an example of the memory settings to use.

Thank you! I didn't know that you could have your specs on your profile so that everyone can see it no matter where you post. I have updated this.

To half jokingly answer the title: turn off your PC. Without APIC your CPU can't see other parts of the chipset, can't control IRQ and thus cannot power up any hardware, including itself.

APIC/APCI is non-optional.

As for the RAM, that's because you are booting BIOS Legacy mode with clover, which is 32bit because BIOS is. If you can't switch your boot mode to UEFI (and you can but for some reason haven't, I'm assuming that's deliberate) you're best off setting up your Mac with only 4GB inserted. You can move past that once you're booting off a GPT EFI drive and not a USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back