Contribute
Register

How-to Create USB Bootable Lion (after AppStore Download)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
CPU
Core i7-2600
Graphics
nVidia 560Ti [gigabyte branded]
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I didn't see this covered here as of yet and I spent a fair many hours trying different things, seems that the simplest stuff I should have tried first.

Anyway, here goes:

Requirements:
8Gb USB thumbdrive (or larger), an external HDD also works.
working Lion or SL install
MultiBeast
xMove (I must stay, two of the best inventions to-date)

I was easily able to upgrade to Lion after downloading from the AppStore and performing the graceful steps from http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmove-multibeast-install-os-x-107-lion.html. (Thanks Tony!) However, I wanted to be able to recover directly to 10.7 should an issue arise -- which means creating a bootable media to install fresh.

Steps:
1) Buy and Download Lion from App Store, while Downloading, you can perform steps 2-4 or wait till completed.
2) Insert USB device
3) Using DiskUtility, select the Disk (not the volume that might be present)
*WARNING: This will DELETE all the contents on the selected device!
a) Select the "Partition" tab
b) Click/tap Partition Layout dropbox: selecting 1 partition, create at least 8Gb HFS+ volume.
c) Click/tap the "Options..." button, select GUID Partition Table (if it isn't already)
d) Select the Name field, and give it a meaningful name (Lion USB Installer, perhaps)
e) Click/tab the "Apply" button.
4) Once formatting is complete, the volume will mount.
5) Using the xMove application, select the target disk as the one you just created.
a) perform move, allow about 30-40 minutes depending on speed of your device.
6) once xMove has completed, get MultiBeast running
a) If you have a DSDT for your system, make sure a copy is on your desktop.
b) select the options needed to get your system booted to the installer.
i) for example, my GA-X58A-UD3R v2 w/FF BIOS needs just UserDSDT.
ii) be sure the *target* of the install is the "Lion USB Installer" volume you created.
7) Restart the system, selecting the USB device to boot from, verify that system boots to the installer (which takes time due to reading each and every Kext)

I hope this helps some of you create the installer *just-in-case* bad things happen.

I tried following this guide, but xMove installer seems to be just frozen on the "Preparing the disk..." step, any idea....

mcbyte_it said:
I tried following this guide, but xMove installer seems to be just frozen on the "Preparing the disk..." step, any idea....

I am having the same problem, any ideas???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back