Contribute
Register

How to create bootable Windows USB for fresh install drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OK i have made this far, have a fully functioning working Hackintosh running for a few weeks.
I have looked all over the forums in Multi Booting and Windows Installation. Searched the internet. . NOTHING that has made this work for me thus far

How the hell do i make a Windows 7 or 8 bootable USB or HD from a Hackintosh ?
I don't have a DVD drive, or a PC computer.

I have tried this on my Macintosh laptop with Boot Camp, no luck

Why isn't there a guide on this already ? I feel like everyone on here is a PC guy, what about us Mac guys that have no PC experience ? :banghead:

OK i have made this far, have a fully functioning working Hackintosh running for a few weeks.
I have looked all over the forums in Multi Booting and Windows Installation. Searched the internet. . NOTHING that has made this work for me thus far

How the hell do i make a Windows 7 or 8 bootable USB or HD from a Hackintosh ?
I don't have a DVD drive, or a PC computer.

I have tried this on my Macintosh laptop with Boot Camp, no luck

Why isn't there a guide on this already ? I feel like everyone on here is a PC guy, what about us Mac guys that have no PC experience ? :banghead:

Try this: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msus/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool/

Once you have the USB drive ready, you will have to partition your Hack Drive for a dual boot installation.

I have already read this and created multiple USB drives with Windows ISO on it, they never allow me to boot to them and i always get the error asking for a bootable drive to be installed. :crazy:

Should have mentioned this before - You need a Win based computer to create the bootable USB drive.
After you download the ISO file, use http://rufus.akeo.ie to create the bootable USB. You will also need an authentic activation key to install win 7 or 8.

Should have mentioned this before - You need a Win based computer to create the bootable USB drive.
After you download the ISO file, use http://rufus.akeo.ie to create the bootable USB. You will also need an authentic activation key to install win 7 or 8.

Don't need rufus if you have the MSDownload Tool. It creates a bootable USB when you run it and is much more reliable than your 3rd party boot stick creator. You can use rufus if all you want is a USB boot device, but it is better to use the MSDT if creating a USB installer for Windows.

And yes, it requires a Windows computer to run it. See your local library - most have both PCs and Macs available for public use.

Or you can try this: http://www.howto-make.org/oguo0Mone...ootable-Windows-7-USB-Installer-on-a-Mac.html

hi, have you figured out a way to install windows on hackintosh?
I have created a bootable usb using unetbootin 3rd party software. But when i try to boot from the usb in the bios setting....it said "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot meid ain selected boot device and press a key."
I already have mac os high seirra 10.13.6 installed using clover. How can i install windows on a seperate ssd?

Basically i got 2 ssd. 1 is filled up with mac. 1 is currently emptied for windows (haven't formatted it yet")
I got asrock motherboard extreme 4 z370.

Got any other better recommendations to do this?

I have created a bootable usb using unetbootin 3rd party software. But when i try to boot from the usb in the bios setting....it said "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot meid ain selected boot device and press a key."
I already have mac os high seirra 10.13.6 installed using clover. How can i install windows on a seperate ssd?

Basically i got 2 ssd. 1 is filled up with mac. 1 is currently emptied for windows (haven't formatted it yet")

It took me quite a bit of time to manage to do it (paradoxically, since a hackintosh is basically a PC !) : try unplugging all your SATA/NVMe drives so that only the one on which you want to install Windows is on when booting.

As for the USB drive itself, I used Rufus with good success. I remember also that on my old hackintosh in 2012, to install Win7, I tried formatting the USB drive in FAT32 and just copying all the files I saw in the ISO after mounting it... it worked very wel, but I do not know if it is still the case with Win10.

Install same as you would if you were building a Win10 PC. Best to disconnect all drives other than the one you intend to use for the Win10 installation before beginning.
You will need Win10 installation USB either purchased or created on a Windows PC from the free download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back