Contribute
Register

How to Create a macOS Sonoma Installation USB

@Zacc806 Thanks for the correction on the name.. But (sorry) I do not get if that was a remark to just correct me on quoting something or if it solves my issue in some way ?

I am able to download the OS but it is unclear to me how to create the USB.. I am quite ok with using Linux and console commands..

The instructions say:

1. Insert the USB drive
2. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
3. Highlight the USB drive in left column
4. Click on the Partition tab
5. Click Current and choose 1 Partition
6. Click Options...
7. Choose GUID Partition Table
8. Under Name: type USB (You can rename it later)
9. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
10. Click Apply then Partition
11. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
12. Type the following, enter password and hit enter. This command completely erases the USB, then creates native installer media from the Install macOS Beta Application.

Steps 1 to 11 are fine. Then I get into step 12, the instructions on the site say to execute the following command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app --nointeraction

When I go in console I would expect an executable called "Install" to exist in the "/Applications" folder.. There is no such executable.. Where should it come from ?

I am guessing that that statement creates the USB, that means it also should have some way to point to the image I just downloaded.. However it is not clear to me where I should place that downloaded image? I think that basically is my issue, where should I place that downloaded mac os image ?

CORRECTION: I am getting where it goes wrong and it is not here... Its the gibmacos part where my running GibMacOS.command does not complete correctly which whould create what I am missing... The script errors out with a syntax error in line 376 .. Now trying using the Beta enrollment...

Last edited:
@Zacc806 Thanks for the correction on the name.. But (sorry) I do not get if that was a remark to just correct me on quoting something or if it solves my issue in some way ?

I am able to download the OS but it is unclear to me how to create the USB.. I am quite ok with using Linux and console commands..

The instructions say:

1. Insert the USB drive
2. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
3. Highlight the USB drive in left column
4. Click on the Partition tab
5. Click Current and choose 1 Partition
6. Click Options...
7. Choose GUID Partition Table
8. Under Name: type USB (You can rename it later)
9. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
10. Click Apply then Partition
11. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
12. Type the following, enter password and hit enter. This command completely erases the USB, then creates native installer media from the Install macOS Beta Application.

Steps 1 to 11 are fine. Then I get into step 12, the instructions on the site say to execute the following command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app --nointeraction

I am guessing that that statement creates the USB, that means it should have some way to point to the image I just downloaded.. However it is not clear to me where I should place that downloaded image? I think that basically is my issue, where should I place that downloaded mac os image ?
Hello,
If steps 1 - 11 are ok, then, in a terminal window, run the specified command.
The .app will be transferred to the USB stick.
After that, you can copy your EFI folder to the EFI partition on the USB stick.

Cheers :)

Thanks @Cosmix !

I do not know what went wrong but after downloading the beta thru apple I was able to create usb without an issue.

Next step is to " install OpenCore " . I downloaded it but am now trying to find the " how to install " on it... Any pointers ?

I do not know what went wrong but after downloading the beta thru apple I was able to create usb without an issue.
That's good !
Next step is to " install OpenCore " . I downloaded it but am now trying to find the " how to install " on it... Any pointers ?
First of all, tell what's your environment : Windows ? mac/hack ? Linux ?
Anyway , you should start reading here :

Use the latest OpenCore version :

Then you must read/check the mobile "Coffee Lake" section.

Also, try to find useful info here:

It would be better to open a new thread related to your hardware, and keep this thread only for its main purpose :
"Create a macOS Sonoma Installation USB"

Cheers:)

Last edited:
Back