Contribute
Register

How to Create a macOS Sierra Public Beta Installation USB

Hello or on my laptop HP 250 G4 or will run Mac OS sierra processor Skylake

I was hoping to upgrade from El Cap to the Sierra GM but am having some issues. I downloaded the Sierra GM and when I try to run it from my main drive, the installer tells me, "This version of macOS 10.12 cannot be installed on this computer." So I made a bootable USB drive and installed the newest build of Clover on it (2.3k r3726) and when I try to boot from it from a USB 2.0 slot, I just get a black screen with a white circle and slash through it and then the computer reboots. My last option, which I haven't tried yet, is to completely wipe the drive and try to install from scratch. I was hoping to be able to just do an upgrade so as to keep all my settings and such, but I'm a little concerned about trying this since I can't boot from the USB drive anyway, I don't think it will work. I use Carbon Copy Cloner and have an exact clone of my main SSD drive to another SSD that I can boot from and run a backup from, so even if I wipe my main drive, I should be safe. Any thoughts as to why I can't upgrade using any of the procedures I mentioned above?

When trying to create the usb with the GM edition I get this:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

Password:

sudo: /Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found

Iam at a total loss trying to get this to install, Now when i boot from usb i'm getting stuck on the apple logo then my usb light dies, tried on every usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports? What could be the problem?

Iam at a total loss trying to get this to install, Now when i boot from usb i'm getting stuck on the apple logo then my usb light dies, tried on every usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports? What could be the problem?
you could try booting with -v and then take a picture and upload it here so we can see an error :)

What is your System definition ?

MacPro3,1

Screen_Shot_2016-09-10_at_12_20_35_PM.png

Last edited:
Back