Graphics
MSI R9 290 4GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
What sup guys, I'm running a 290 (no X) perfectly so far in 10.10.5 no performance issues or anything. You can check my specs on my profile and it runs on par with a Mac Pro in Final Cut (based from BruceX test)

So to the point, So far I haven't encountered any issues, but I'm afraid I might in the not so distant future. As my 290 is reference design (famous for having a not so great cooler), I've started thinking about the temperatures of it. I installed HWMonitor and everything seems fine except for the GPU Temp which says 0. So I wanted to have a way to check the temp on the GPU and to be able to control the fan speed.

SMCFancontrol doesn't seem to be working, either with the CPU cooler or the GPU. I tried iMac fan controller and it doesn't even install. I don't dare to do any video editing until I can at least check the temps on my GPU. these aren't cheap you know.

Do you have all the FakeSMC plugins installed so the GPU temp is read?

yeah, I had to do move them manually to the EFI Partition (I have clover) and everything else is showing, CPU Temp, Chipset temp, cpu fan speed. everything but the GPU

I think I had the same issue (= no GPU temp sensor data in OS X) with a HD 7790 which uses basically the same GPU architecture (just the low-end version), so I guess there's currently no way to read it in OS X.

Your best bet is to observe the GPU temp in windows when putting some load on the GPU. OpenCL usually shouldn't stress the GPU too much, but it's a good idea to doublecheck that.
If you discover too high temps you could make a modified vBIOS with increased fan speeds as I don't know of any methods to control the fan speed in OS X.

yeah, I had to do move them manually to the EFI Partition (I have clover) and everything else is showing, CPU Temp, Chipset temp, cpu fan speed. everything but the GPU

In order for me to get GPU info in HW Monitor, using Clover, I had to install FakeSMC.kext into the S/L/E folder. When I was injecting it using Clover, GPU info never showed up.

As Florian said, I've never seen a way to control GPU fans in OS X.

yeah, I think I'm going to have to flash a BIOS to the GPU with modified fan speeds. AMD shipped it pre configured to make it run up to 90 C. AMD swears that the GPU can handle it no problem but I don't want to take my risks. Better have a slightly loud GPU than a fried GPU.

Upon thinkering a little with the board settings, I disabled the intel GPU and the previous GPU Temp that was reporting 0 is gone. Now there is no sign of any GPU at all....

I will try to copy the FAKESMC to the S/L/E and see what happens.

There is no way to control the fans, I was trying to figure it out but failed, I resorted to flashing the bios of my 270X with a custom fan profile :) Works like magic, temps went down and the card keeps the profile. You just need a windows partition. It's really easy too, low risk of damaging anything if you're careful and following a guide (there's many on the internet). Same goes for any other fan speeds really.. I believe there were some kexts that allowed fan speed control on hackbooks, but otherwise nope ;D best thing for other fans is having a fan controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back