Contribute
Register

How To: Build your own "Real" Airport Card

The thing with broadcom wifi chips is that they seem to only produce those OEM. There are drivers for the ethernet chips on broadcom.com but not a single driver for wifi. At least I didn't see any. :(

Booting Windows now to report my findings driver wise. ;)

Well, Windows took the drivers - but also told me that it didn't touch my config as the drivers that are installed are newer than the ones I tried to install (off of the SL disc). I guess I'll just learn to live with crappy wifi on Windows. ;)

It's not too bad - I mean, apart from playing Diablo 3 I never use Windows anyway.

Thanks a lot for trying though! I appreciate it! :)

I just built and installed one of these, and while it is recognized and works intermittently, it drops the connection frequently, often can't see my network, and when it works it's very slow. I get full strength signal when it's up.

(It's an Apple branded 4321 from eBay.)

Edit: Took the time to read the thread like a FUNCTIONAL MEMBER OF AN ONLINE COMMUNITY. Seems like I neglected to screw the wireless card to the adapter. Didn't realize that was necessary, since neither the card nor the adapter shipped with screws. Hopefully I can dig some up tonight and get things working again.

I've read that there is no adapter for the BCM943224PCIEBT2. What I read though was back in 2011 so I wanted to check and see if this card is still not possible to adapt to pcie?

Any recommendations on a card that does BOTH wifi N and bluetooth?

Hey I've got an Edimax EW 7728IN.. Can you please tell me how I can get that to work ?

Hi,

so I followed the guide, but my system doesn't recognize the card. Neither OS X or Windows.

How should I look for the problem? I already tried all PCI-E slots, tried removing and reattaching the miniPCI card, but no results. What is a good next step?

Got BCM94322MC-BCM4322 from ebay. Both LION and MOUNTAIN LION recognized OOB as 3rd Party. I've rebranded as AirPort Extreme. However performance between 2 different OSX versions seem to be quite different.
LION = sporadic, up and down and having issue connecting to WIFI when SSID is not BROADCASTING.
MOUNTAIN LION = much more stable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-43...US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item27c75ec6d8

Is the only way of getting Wifi to use Apple's airport utility is with this adapter only? (I know USB adapters come with their own wifi utility but no likey...)Do they have a USB version of this or is the utility looking for PCIe adapter? They don't make a real PCIe (not mini PCIe) that will work? Looking for 300M, I use TP-Link for everything I have, but looking to add Wifi to my Mac since I am planning on moving the machine elsewhere and there is no Ethernet port :(

Well, I went ahead and bought this:
ADAPTER.JPG
Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310424537655
With this:
CARD.JPG
Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330843628913
I will remove the middle antenna since it only uses 2 and maybe if I find the LED pins I put an LED to indicate transmission, it already has an LED (for link?) any ideas? Both US sellers, and for under $30 not bad.

EDIT: Put it together, booted os x and it found network device AirPort, I am happy camper! :)

I've decided to make one of these for my new build (unless there's any off the shelf adapters that work without 3rd party software?)

I've found the apple card here in the UK for £15. Can anyone suggest the cheapest alternative to the Winking adapter?

I'm not sure EXACTLY what is required. I can find things that look similar but no exact matches.

Back