Contribute
Register

How To: Build your own "Real" Airport Card

Hy to all,
I made my wifi card under this wonderfull guide.
I connected it into my hackintosh second pci-e 16 slot and they are recognized like a wifi third part card.

They works, but I can't link on my wifi network because I've -67 dBm signal and -78 dbm disturb.
I'm using only the two antennas in the back of my case but I don't believe this is the problem beacuse with my mack book pro the signal (in the same position, of course) are the best and I can link with the better speed.

Can anyone help me??
Thanks in advance!!

Bobberman said:
Hy to all,
I made my wifi card under this wonderfull guide.
I connected it into my hackintosh second pci-e 16 slot and they are recognized like a wifi third part card.

They works, but I can't link on my wifi network because I've -67 dBm signal and -78 dbm disturb.
I'm using only the two antennas in the back of my case but I don't believe this is the problem beacuse with my mack book pro the signal (in the same position, of course) are the best and I can link with the better speed.

Can anyone help me??
Thanks in advance!!

The MBP's internal antenna was optimized by Apple for wifi use. Your CustoMac results will improve if you replace the stock antennas, which have no gain, with something like this, which has 10 dB gain: http://www.amazon.com/10-dBi-2-4GHz-WIF ... =pd_cp_e_1 (buy 2 for best results)

I use this one: http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RNX-A2-E ... 423&sr=8-3
Only one is needed, but it has just 3 x 2 dB gain. I may get two of the 10 dB antennas in the first link to increase signal even more.

Anyone know if those cards BCM94321MC or BCM94322MC are all with integrated bluetooth module? Or exist some with only wi-fi?
I need a card with WI-FI and BLUETOOTH integrated, could anybody indicate one?

patrickbaltieri said:
Anyone know if those cards BCM94321MC or BCM94322MC are all with integrated bluetooth module? Or exist some with only wi-fi?
I need a card with WI-FI and BLUETOOTH integrated, could anybody indicate one?

The BCM94321MC & BCM94322MC are both wifi-only.

Apple & Broadcom OEM make a wifi-bluetooth combo card, model # BCM943224PCIEBT2 which works in the MacBook Air.
But this combo card features pins in a 12+6 configuration:
BCM943224PCIEBT2=12+6.jpg

That pinning is incompatible with the standard PCIe mini card (4321 & 4322) pinning which is 18+8:
4321=18+8.JPG
So, since there is no PCIe adapter to mount the BCM943224PCIEBT2 due to its proprietary Apple pinning, it cannot be used yet in a CustoMac.

Now that you know, would you please design and manufacture a PCIe 1x adapter with antenna jacks that will accommodate the BCM943224PCIEBT2 card, and I will send you a sandwich. Or candy bar.

thank you in advance :thumbup:

Attachments

• BCM943224PCIEBT2=12+6.jpg
    BCM943224PCIEBT2=12+6.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 4321=18+8.JPG
    4321=18+8.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 261
alpha90 said:
So, since there is no PCIe adapter to mount the BCM943224PCIEBT2 due to its proprietary Apple pinning, it cannot be used yet in a CustoMac.

Thank you so much, cause I am looking for a possibility to make it going. So I can stop looking for it and check out a MacBookBluetooth-Adapter. The Asus bluetoothadapters do not working correct with the MagicMouse. :confused:

Apple and it's extra special treatments :problem:

eelhead said:
alpha90 said:
Here's another idea: use a twist tie:
wifi_twist-tie.jpg

Hey that looks familiar ;)

Ah, eelhead, that image was sent by another user without mentioning your G5 case build thread.
Thanks for sharing the high-tech twisty-tie solution! All humanity is better because of you!
~~
Seriously, that is a superb project you managed with your G5 tower enclosure. I do like all the detail in the steps you took.

scrump said:
alpha90 said:

Thank you so much, cause I am looking for a possibility to make it going. So I can stop looking for it and check out a MacBookBluetooth-Adapter. The Asus bluetoothadapters do not working correct with the MagicMouse. :confused:

Apple and it's extra special treatments :problem:

OK, if you do find or can personally manufacture a PCIe 1x adapter with antenna jacks that will accommodate the BCM943224PCIEBT2 wifi/bluetooth combo card, I will send you a sandwich or candy bar as well.
Seriously, so far there is none out there, as the BCM943224PCIEBT2 is Apple-proprietary 6-12 pin format. But maybe as with Apple's mini-display port jack, the smaller 6-12 pin "micro" PCI format will be adopted as a new industry standard.

alpha90 said:
Ah, eelhead, that image was sent by another user without mentioning your G5 case build thread.
Thanks for sharing the high-tech twisty-tie solution! All humanity is better because of you!
~~
Seriously, that is a superb project you managed with your G5 tower enclosure. I do like all the detail in the steps you took.
Thank you very much :D

Back