Contribute
Register

How To: Build your own "Real" Airport Card

hi all,
i build an airport extreme card, and it works all fine and ootb. so far so good. BUT my wifi is detected as "bluetooth pan" -> why?

i bought the Apple BCM94322MC Airport Extreme module.

Can someone help?

regards and thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2012-04-11 um 19.31.21.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-04-11 um 19.31.21.png
    259.1 KB · Views: 185
kartoffelsalat said:
hi all,
i build an airport extreme card, and it works all fine and ootb. so far so good. BUT my wifi is detected as "bluetooth pan" -> why?

Can someone help?

On your CustoMac the wi-fi Service is being correctly interpreted with and displays the AirPort symbol, which is what matters most. The incorrect name as BT below the AirPort icon is likely due to the OS seeing an erroneous tag in your wifi card's firmware. I've had this wrong label happen randomly and it's usually of little consequence.

So since you are seeing such good, stable throughput, no concern needed, and it's ok to choose "Rename Service" from the gear drop menu.Rename-wifi.jpg

Attachments

• Rename-wifi.jpg
    Rename-wifi.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 191
alpha90 said:
kartoffelsalat said:
hi all,

Can someone help?

On your CustoMac the wi-fi Service is being correctly interpreted with and displays the AirPort symbol, which is what matters most. The incorrect name as BT below the AirPort icon is likely due to the OS seeing an erroneous tag in your wifi card's firmware. I've had this wrong label happen randomly and it's usually of little consequence.

So since you are seeing such good, stable throughput, no concern needed, and it's ok to choose "Rename Service" from the gear drop menu.Rename-wifi.jpg

Okay. Renamed it. Everything works fine. You are my grandmaster! Thank you Sir!
Bye. :wave:

titsmgee said:
Wolfster said:
the front panel headphone input of my Corsair 400r
Try using Toleda's 889 AppleHDA.kext:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45413

Can't help you with your graphics I'm an AMD guy.

Hey just thought I should let you know that this has actually got my headphone input working on the front panel! I realised I hadn't deleted the older appleHDA next from s/l/e. Thanks for the link!

Hi

Bought 2 of the mini PCI-E adaptors, and 2 broadcom cards. Put the first in the Hack (Asus G67, Unibeast, then multibeast, App store Lion 10.7.3.) - nothing, not even an entry in System profiler. Everything else works fine, so I thought it might b the card so I tried the other one, same - just as if it doesnt exist.

Do I need to do something to enable the PCI bus? Any other ideas - everyone elses seems to just work OOB :(

blueadrian said:
Hi

Bought 2 of the mini PCI-E adaptors, and 2 broadcom cards. Put the first in the Hack (Asus G67, Unibeast, then multibeast, App store Lion 10.7.3.) - nothing, not even an entry in System profiler. Everything else works fine, so I thought it might b the card so I tried the other one, same - just as if it doesnt exist.

Do I need to do something to enable the PCI bus? Any other ideas - everyone elses seems to just work OOB :(

Are you using onboard graphics or a PCIe vid card?

I can't find the Asus G67 mobo online. The hits come up as laptops?

How many PCIe 1 x slots?

Hi

Tried search but couldn't see the answer.

I have also followed the post and built the wifi card.

My only issue is that the 5Ghz is really slow.

With my macbook Air (say next to my Hackintosh) I get 100mb down speed on 5Ghz, but on the hackintosh I only get 20-30mb download speeds.

0Mud said:
Hi

Tried search but couldn't see the answer.

I have also followed the post and built the wifi card.

My only issue is that the 5Ghz is really slow.

With my macbook Air (say next to my Hackintosh) I get 100mb down speed on 5Ghz, but on the hackintosh I only get 20-30mb download speeds.

I also have followed and searched most of this lengthy thread, and I agree that the topic of slowness on the 5 GHz band has not yet arisen.
My impression is that actual Apple MB, MBPro and MBAirs have factory designed, finely tuned antennas, and thus they perform a bit better than our home-brew CustoMac wifi cards.
With antenna tinkering or substitution, it may be possible to approach or surpass Apple's antenna setups.
It's a matter of the signal being resonant at a precise length. That is why the internal antennas on various model MB's work well: Apple just got them properly trimmed for both 2.4 and 5 GHz
My performance went up substantially when I added an external antenna, replacing the trio that came fastened to the PCIe x1 adapter. The model I chose, also in my sig.
This improved my issues noticeably, so I stopped experimenting. But I think I can do even better with a still-inexpensive external antenna such as this one which claims a whopping 10 dBi gain.

Hi I bought the Apple branded BCM94321MC (2006). It is registered on my hackintosh as an airport card and it can find networks and everything seems to be working but I can only get g networks working. Even then the speed is extremely slow. I'm running 0.5mbps/0.5mbps. So no n and it is working extremely slowly on g. Has anyone had this issue before or could it be the result of the extremely cheap PCI adapter I bought from China? :)
Thanks!

EDIT: the card works in Linux. n works too but it is running really slow. I think I'm going to try and buy a new PCI adapter.

Well either my searching skills suck this weekend or there really isn't anything to find and wireless networking isn't my foray lol so I need some HALPS for my friends newly made hack.

GA-965P-DQ6, 3.0 Core 2 Duo, nVidia 520
System is flawless thus far with easybeast setup but .....

So I had him do the wifi mod and slap it in and nothing, can't even recognize it what so ever.
So I thought he might of gotten the wrong card. He brought me the card and low and behold it is the right set up. So I tested it on my GA-X58A-UD3R and it showed up after two restarts along with my wifi card that I made to show him that they are plug and play. Had both cards going just fine. So I let him take my card home to try both on his to see. Showed him hos to set it up in preferences and what not.

Still nothing, so via phone call I had him remove all services in system preferences/network and then remove the associated plists needed for all of that and then restart. Well still nothing.

I am thinking it is a PCI thing but I am unsure at this point.

So I was hoping maybe somebody had an idea or a step I missed or what not.

thanks
eel :D

Back