Contribute
Register

How To: Build your own "Real" Airport Card

alpha90 said:
@ellisbodds

Any of those 3 solutions could work, but the 2 involving extension cables probably give you the best shot of transcending the shielding of the alcove.
Yeah, that sounds right. Do you think that one of the 9DBi antennae with an extension cable would be enough? I don't know much about what DBi means myself, but from what I've seen the stock ones are about 2DBi each, so that would be over double the stock DBi and also in a far better place.

ellisbodds said:
alpha90 said:
@ellisbodds

Any of those 3 solutions could work, but the 2 involving extension cables probably give you the best shot of transcending the shielding of the alcove.
Yeah, that sounds right. Do you think that one of the 9DBi antennae with an extension cable would be enough? I don't know much about what DBi means myself, but from what I've seen the stock ones are about 2DBi each, so that would be over double the stock DBi and also in a far better place.

Since you achieved successful wifi using the stock antennae simply by temporarily moving the CustoMac from the signal blockage of its home within the alcove, a single 9 dBi antenna "should" do the job, particularly if you allow it to be placed as high in the room as acceptable. My slight hesitancy is that you'll have just a single, rather than the dual antennae as on the adapter now. But in your favor:
-AirPort cards, whether in MacBooks or MacPro's, use just a single antenna, and it is internal, blocked by the PC's case. (Obviously Apple does a good job of engineering & tuning their AirPort antennae.)
-9 dBi is a lot of gain! This assumes the vendor is rating it properly, which often is not the case, but even if half-true, the standard antennae is theoretically rated as zero; so getting even 4dBi gain should be huge.

So I'd say buy & try, and if a single is only partially successful, buy another when you can afford. But still recognize that (although I doubt it) a #2 antenna may add nothing of advantage, and you won't prove it until too late.
In the meantime, you could leave one of the original antennae still connected, assuring you choose the jack that links to the wifi card, and not the #3 jack which goes no place (if you have a 3-antenna adapter to 2-antenna wifi card as I do).

How many antennae does your router have?

alpha90 said:
ellisbodds said:
alpha90 said:
@ellisbodds

Since you achieved successful wifi using the stock antennae simply by temporarily moving the CustoMac from the signal blockage of its home within the alcove, a single 9 dBi antenna "should" do the job, particularly if you allow it to be placed as high in the room as acceptable. My slight hesitancy is that you'll have just a single, rather than the dual antennae as on the adapter now. But in your favor:
-AirPort cards, whether in MacBooks or MacPro's, use just a single antenna, and it is internal, blocked by the PC's case. (Obviously Apple does a good job of engineering & tuning their AirPort antennae.)
-9 dBi is a lot of gain! This assumes the vendor is rating it properly, which often is not the case, but even if half-true, the standard antennae is theoretically rated as zero; so getting even 4dBi gain should be huge.

So I'd say buy & try, and if a single is only partially successful, buy another when you can afford. But still recognize that (although I doubt it) a #2 antenna may add nothing of advantage, and you won't prove it until too late.
In the meantime, you could leave one of the original antennae still connected, assuring you choose the jack that links to the wifi card, and not the #3 jack which goes no place (if you have a 3-antenna adapter to 2-antenna wifi card as I do).

How many antennae does your router have?
Ah, thanks. Yeah, my card has 2 antennae and my adaptor has 3, but I removed one of them completely from the adapter so the only two on there are actually connected.

My router just has one antenna. :(

I just built one of these and it seems to work (I'm using it in Windows 7 to write this). It didn't appear in my network devices in OS X 10.7.3. I tried to add it manually, but it wasn't on the list. Any tips? I am using the BCM94322MC Apple branded card with a PCI Express adapter...

stuckwithme247 said:
I just built one of these and it seems to work (I'm using it in Windows 7 to write this). It didn't appear in my network devices in OS X 10.7.3. I tried to add it manually, but it wasn't on the list. Any tips? I am using the BCM94322MC Apple branded card with a PCI Express adapter...

In OS X Network Prefs when you click the + to add a service-interface, does the wifi card appear as available in the popup?
OSXAirPortadd.jpg

Attachments

• OSXAirPortadd.jpg
    OSXAirPortadd.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 127
alpha90 said:
stuckwithme247 said:

In OS X Network Prefs when you click the + to add a service-interface, does the wifi card appear as available in the popup?
OSXAirPortadd.jpg

Nope :?

Not sure why it says there is an ethernet cable connected either...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-21 at 8.21.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-21 at 8.21.40 AM.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 115
stuckwithme247 said:
alpha90 said:
stuckwithme247 said:

OSXAirPortadd.jpg

Nope :-\

I have the older 4321 card, bought purposefully because it seemed that so many people had trouble getting the 4322 card like yours to be recognized. Some were successful after modifying a kext. Lately it seems like everyone -- until you -- has had no problems in Lion with the 4322. Once working, your card is better, so I encourage you to search this thread for 4322, find the kext mod, and see if that does the trick.

Thanks, I will look around and post here if I find a fix. Funny, because I read that the one I bought was actually a little bit better than the 4321 and worked fine. Maybe it's just a more recent thing.

[SOLUTION] It was a problem with my ethernet kext. The one I installed from MultiBeast had replaced my entire IONetworkingFamily.kext. Fortunately the actual kext for my specific ethernet device was included as a standalone kext within the patched one. My solution was to go back to the original IONetworkingFamily and just install the AppleIntelE100e.kext from the patched IONetworkingFamily to S\L\E

I'm having a major problem with the airport card that I just made.

DL .5 Mbps / UP1.1 Mbps

I have this Adapter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150714322744?ss ... 1497.l2649

and this Airport card:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330676414884?ss ... 1497.l2649

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I have it hooked in on the top PCI-e slot. I've tried repositioning the antennas, but it doesn't seem to do much of anything for the speeds. I'm using one white and one black antenna cable (not sure if it matters). Using the two antenna slots on the left side of that stock photo. Also, I'm not sure if it makes a difference but my card and adapter did not come with screws to tighten down the card, so I just put the metal shield over it and hoped that was good enough. Is that bad?

Thanks.

Mine didn't come with screws either, and despite someone saying that regular hard drive screws fit, I went through all my spare computer screws and none of them did at all. :(

Kinda doubt that could be the issue to be honest, but then again mine's not exactly working that well.

Back