Contribute
Register

How To: Build your own "Real" Airport Card

3. i have it to grab IP automatically from DHCP, so i've never touched tcp/ip and dns
in the network pane in sys prefs it says turn airport on; when i click to turn it on it doesn't do anything. stays off the whole time.

4. the router is a Cisco WRVS4400N .

thanks

JimmyCypherz said:
3. i have it to grab IP automatically from DHCP, so i've never touched tcp/ip and dns
in the network pane in sys prefs it says turn airport on; when i click to turn it on it doesn't do anything. stays off the whole time.

thanks

Ordinarily it would be suggested:

5) Verify that your router is configured to allow DHCP addresses. Sometimes they are set to allocate only a few addresses within a range, but your other household devices (or your neighbors if you don't have a WEP/WAP password and they are hitchhiking) may have consumed all the available IP's within that range.
6) Despite using DHCP, DNS often fails to be populated. Therefore it's advisable to enter DNS manually, choosing the IP of your router, which will forward all requests to your ISP's DNS.

***But***
Since your command to "Turn AirPort On" fails, suggestions 5) & 6) are moot. I take it you show no IP address assignment below the "Turn AirPort On" button because the OS cannot even get AirPort to go live, despite it being an "Active" service. I'm wondering if the Toshiba hardware is still trumping your choice of an Apple Broadcom 43211 card.

I do note in your screenshot that the OS sees the BC43211 card as en1 instead of en0, which is usually the preferable order, as en0 is reserved for the ethernet NIC.

Do you see any relevant errors or info in Console > /private/var/log > system.log ?

Otherwise I'm stumped but thinking. Giving other details or stuff you've tried might help.

yea, i ran out of ideas on what else to try. you're right i do not see an IP because for some reason the card won't turn on.

I also tried a Dell 1390 card that i have and same result. I'm thinking it is a mini pci port instead of a mini pcie??? Cause the Dell card also doesn't work in Windows. I get a weird error there and won't start. If i use the original card the came with it, it works. an Intel 3945.
i've tried searching the original card specs and some websites say mini pci, others say mini pcie :banghead:

I got this method to work with a new Apple branded atheros wifi card pulled from a 2007 MBP (no Ad Hoc = No Airdrop). The only remaining issue is the antenna from my pci-e adapter is very weak. I am considering purchasing the rosewill extender( http://tinyurl.com/bvqnyyj ) but I could also salvage the antenna from the MBP. Does anyone know if the MBP antenna would work for this purpose? If it does, which option would produce the best results? I don't mind spending the $10 for the extender if that is the better option.

Thanks,
Hackamaca

JimmyCypherz said:
yea, i ran out of ideas on what else to try. you're right i do not see an IP because for some reason the card won't turn on.

I also tried a Dell 1390 card that i have and same result. I'm thinking it is a mini pci port instead of a mini pcie??? Cause the Dell card also doesn't work in Windows. I get a weird error there and won't start. If i use the original card the came with it, it works. an Intel 3945.
i've tried searching the original card specs and some websites say mini pci, others say mini pcie :banghead:

Mini PCI differs from mini PCIe in overall size & pinning:
http://www.machinaelectronics.com/store ... i_wireless
So I think all 3 of your cards are surely mini PCIe, as is the Toshiba's interior jack.

(A longer reply I posted yesterday seems to have been deleted)

alpha90 said:
JimmyCypherz said:

thanks

Ordinarily it would be suggested:

5) Verify that your router is configured to allow DHCP addresses. Sometimes they are set to allocate only a few addresses within a range, but your other household devices (or your neighbors if you don't have a WEP/WAP password and they are hitchhiking) may have consumed all the available IP's within that range.
6) Despite using DHCP, DNS often fails to be populated. Therefore it's advisable to enter DNS manually, choosing the IP of your router, which will forward all requests to your ISP's DNS.

***But***
Since your command to "Turn AirPort On" fails, suggestions 5) & 6) are moot. I take it you show no IP address assignment below the "Turn AirPort On" button because the OS cannot even get AirPort to go live, despite it being an "Active" service. I'm wondering if the Toshiba hardware is still trumping your choice of an Apple Broadcom 43211 card.

I do note in your screenshot that the OS sees the BC43211 card as en1 instead of en0, which is usually the preferable order, as en0 is reserved for the ethernet NIC.

Do you see any relevant errors or info in Console > /private/var/log > system.log ?

Otherwise I'm stumped but thinking. Giving other details or stuff you've tried might help.

just found out that Toshiba has a whitelist on the BIOS so that certain cards can work. HP does this too. I managed to find a BIOS with the whitelist removed for the HP laptop i have and now i'm able to freely use any wifi card :headbang:

found one for the toshiba, but i'm having a hard time changing it cause the software detects that i'm trying to use the same version and i get a message saying BIOS is same version so no changes will be made. Looking into it though. Hopefully i'll be able to figure it out :thumbup:

Back