Contribute
Register

how to boot from emergency bood disc without a complete re-install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77 > Need full model name > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Last night I was attempting to resolve a lingering issue I've had with access to the App Store. It's always given me messages that they need to verify my computer and won't allow me to download apps. In my research, I found a post that suggested two entries in the "org.chameleon.Boot.plist." One of the entries I already had in there, but the second one was not there. I put it in there, but now I can't get past the grays screen with the apple and the spinning icon below it. I seem to recall I've been here once before and booted from the emergency disc, but I did a complete re-install of Mavericks and wiped out all my personal stuff. I don't want to do that if I don't have to. I know this file is part of the boot process and if I can get the system up from my boot disc, I can get in there and return the changes I made back to where they were. I see in the installation guide (http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html) there's a section where you can install just Mavericks and keep all you files and apps, but it says it's for upgrading from Snow Leopard. Not sure if that would work for me. I'm also concerned about installing a fresh version of Mavericks as I would probably lose my e-mail and contacts. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the response. I've just made a fresh disc with unibeast. It sounds like I can boot to my computer with just that? No need for Multibeast at this point, I don't think. If I can get it booted, I can make that change and everything will be good from there.

Perfect! Made the boot disc and was able to make the change to the file. Everything is as it was before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back