Contribute
Register

How to be a pro hackintosher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have much experience with hackintosh, I've done it a few times and I never got to the level of "Good enough to work with". I find it a lot of fun and I've experience in programming, therefore my question is, how to get to the level of actually contributing to the site and start making/modifying Kexts and DSDT's, etc. I am already familiar with how to use the modified files, but not making them. I am a fan of lots of pros on this site specially @RehabMan, so please if anyone can tell me how you got there, I'd be grateful.

I've been checking out a great many of the forums and threads. There's so many. I'm still learning what info is contained in what area.

Learning to become a pro hackintosher definitely takes time and a lot of trial and error with settings and files. Besides all the Guides and Builds, is there actually any documentation here that teaches the why's of the steps taken in the Guides? Kind of like asking for the hardware API.

Unless a person has been in the computer hardware industry and as learned not only how the sequence of steps must be performed to get a motherboard or card to do its thing, but the why, or the reason, that step has to be performed?

I'm following the [NEW / TESTING] Intel 7th Generation Kaby Lake CPUs + 200 Series Motherboards in macOS thread and see the experts trying this and trying that to get the new boards to function. That's all fine and good to follow, but these guys obviously know why they have to do certain steps in their trial and error approach.

That's the kind of info needed to become a pro. Is that kind of info on the forums somewhere?

Because of the very nature and diversity from one Hack machine to the next, it's all trial and error I'm afraid. Yes there are a few Demi-Gods among us with the knowledge we mere mortals try to grasp or understand the guidance they provide to make it all happen. I can assure you even after following the instructions to the letter, there will be one thing either major or little that will cause you to lose a few strands of skull fibre. I see my experience of Hackintoshing not only as a hobby but also a journey of pain and frustration, so if you want to sit at the table with the Demi-Gods, get use to wearing beanie hats, how do you think moderator Going-Bald got his name :lol:. Don't let the ramblings of my personal experience deter you from reaching your goal because when you actually achieve not only putting one of these things together from scratch, and then installing the OS, your face will rip from ear to ear so I say go for it. :thumbup:

I've been checking out a great many of the forums and threads. There's so many. I'm still learning what info is contained in what area.

Learning to become a pro hackintosher definitely takes time and a lot of trial and error with settings and files. Besides all the Guides and Builds, is there actually any documentation here that teaches the why's of the steps taken in the Guides? Kind of like asking for the hardware API.

Unless a person has been in the computer hardware industry and as learned not only how the sequence of steps must be performed to get a motherboard or card to do its thing, but the why, or the reason, that step has to be performed?

I'm following the [NEW / TESTING] Intel 7th Generation Kaby Lake CPUs + 200 Series Motherboards in macOS thread and see the experts trying this and trying that to get the new boards to function. That's all fine and good to follow, but these guys obviously know why they have to do certain steps in their trial and error approach.

That's the kind of info needed to become a pro. Is that kind of info on the forums somewhere?

No, there is no API. What you need to consider is your own chosen hardware. Your choice may match someone elses or be similar, but in any case there is no way of documenting every single hardware combination for a hack build, there are simply too many possible combinations. Your starting point is the Buyers Guide, which shows groups of hardware known to work with OSX. Following that you will want to learn how to setup your exact chosen combination, and thats where the forums come in. Look for a build that matches yours, and if there isnt one, look for builds that include bits of your chosen hardware (And OSX version) and learn from how they got that hardware working. Some of the guides have explanations but not all, and you will likely find more of this in the Golden Builds - so called because they are written to a very high standard and correctly use the expected template/format.

If there is something you still can not get working, then its time to ask nicely in the correct section of the forum for some help; that will normally be forthcoming and the moderators do monitor all the sections of the site. If your question is within a moderators area of knowledge they will usually do their best to help you, but of course other forum users play a huge part in helping out too, and we appreciate those efforts a lot.

If you really need help with 'why' something is done as opposed to 'how', then you are free to ask away in the forums as above, but we do expect you to do your own research first and check the forum posts as your question may have been answered previously.

If you want to learn why things are done in a particular sequence, again, read other user builds and golden builds and you will start to pick up on the normally used sequences for installation. Broadly speaking it involves five steps which are :

1. Build the physical hardware
2. Configure the system bios
3. Install OSX
4. Install and configure additional kexts (This is similar to installing drivers in Windows)
5. Optionally apply any extra tweaks and tuning to help optimise your system

Then you can sit back and enjoy the result of your efforts, and also consider writing a guide for your own hardware combination if one does not exist already. By sharing your new found knowledge it will then help other users.

You can reach out for help, in the forums, at any time during your hackintosh journey but please do a search of the forums first and make sure to follow the site rules at all times.

There is no hard and fast rule about becoming a 'pro'. Like everything in life, the more knowledge and experience you gain, the more professional you will eventually become. And that is a journey which is different for every one of us.

Happy hackintoshing!

:thumbup:

Last edited:
Because of the very nature and diversity from one Hack machine to the next, it's all trial and error I'm afraid. Yes there are a few Demi-Gods among us with the knowledge we mere mortals try to grasp or understand the guidance they provide to make it all happen. I can assure you even after following the instructions to the letter, there will be one thing either major or little that will cause you to lose a few strands of skull fibre. I see my experience of Hackintoshing not only as a hobby but also a journey of pain and frustration, so if you want to sit at the table with the Demi-Gods, get use to wearing beanie hats, how do you think moderator Going-Bald got his name :lol:. Don't let the ramblings of my personal experience deter you from reaching your goal because when you actually achieve not only putting one of these things together from scratch, and then installing the OS, your face will rip from ear to ear so I say go for it. :thumbup:

A lot of your sentiment here is spot on, but needs some extra input I think.

Dont think of the hackintosh world as a 'them and us' scenario when it comes to your so-called 'demi-gods', moderators, experienced users etc. This is simply people with differing levels of experience who are prepared to give up some of their time to help others. When help is being asked for, it usually comes from either a moderator or another forum user who has previously come across the same situation. This is why we urge you to search the forums before asking as the question has likely been answered before. The forums are a goldmine of knowledge and are free for anyone to take advantage of.

The hack journey does not have to be one of pulling hair or pain & frustration. It does happen a lot, because understandably, new users in particular want to just jump in and have it all work for them. Some come with the incorrect assumption that it works the same as installing windows on your average PC.

The way to learn is to do your research/homework by making best use of the forums before you start your build/installation. Prep your USB using the guides available, work on your configuration file for Clover, do a few test boots before starting the actual install, read the similar build guides and ask questions where necessary. By taking this approach you can make that journey a much more positive one, and you can feel quite satisfied that you have gone about it the smart way, and that your skull is still intact!

;)

@ WonkeyDonkey - Thanks for the additional input, my post was written in a light hearted tongue and cheek way relaying my own experience. True I have learnt a great deal from Mods and other members along the way and may I add still learning. I have bookmarked and print out so many pages with what I consider useful tips offered up by members during my hackintosh journey that stands me in good stead whenever I come unstuck. In conclusion I enjoy my Hack machines immensely and get great joy by tinkering and tweaking to get as near to a real Mac as possible.

I'm scouring the many forums, steps and sequences are starting to make sense. I haven't started assembling my hack yet, as some parts haven't arrived. But that's ok, many of the lights are turning on as I study. I'm also not in any big hurry to get it built as my iMac is AOK for now, just lacking the amount of power I'd like for 3D graphics work.

Heck, it was just a few weeks ago I had decided I wasn't going to bother building a Hackintosh, but some unknown force kept making me order parts. I think the force is called "fun," or something like that.

Just beginning to study the Clover Wiki and the Configurator. Neat stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back