Graphics
GTX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,

I confess I'm a noob, so bear with me. I've got my lion system working and graphics enabled. I still lack USB 3.0 and firewire and am ready to venture forth.

Is there a way to backup whats working now and return to it if I make a change that wrecks the system? Can I just backup the extras folder and boot in safe mode or something?

Thanks in advance

Gigabit GA-Z68XP-UD3
Core i7 Processor
GeForce GTX580
Corsair Vengeance 16GB Ram

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup your install. Install Chimera ONLY to boot off disc and copy back over backup image over hosed disc.

+1 on Carbon Copy Cloner. It's a free app that lets clone your drive, OR create a disk image that you can use to re-image your drive.

I've got an eSATA drive that I use for just such a thing. First, I cloned my current working drive to the eSATA drive. Then I use Chimera installer to install Chimera on the eSATA drive. I reboot, then use the Chimera menu to actually boot from the eSATA drive this time. FINALLY, while having booted from the eSATA drive I made a CCC image file of my working boot drive & save to the eSATA drive. (BTW, forgot to mention that I also installed CCC on my eSATA drive as well).

Now I can go about mucking around with settings or kexts or whatever. If I mess something up, I reconnect my eSATA drive, boot from that, then use CCC and my working disk image to re-image my boot drive. Once I re-image my boot drive, I do an install using the stand-alone Chimera installer on my regular boot drive. Then reboot as normal.

Like everything, there are usually many different ways to do things.

BoomR said:
+1 on Carbon Copy Cloner. It's a free app that lets clone your drive, OR create a disk image that you can use to re-image your drive.

I've got an eSATA drive that I use for just such a thing. First, I cloned my current working drive to the eSATA drive. Then I use Chimera installer to install Chimera on the eSATA drive. I reboot, then use the Chimera menu to actually boot from the eSATA drive this time. FINALLY, while having booted from the eSATA drive I made a CCC image file of my working boot drive & save to the eSATA drive. (BTW, forgot to mention that I also installed CCC on my eSATA drive as well).

Now I can go about mucking around with settings or kexts or whatever. If I mess something up, I reconnect my eSATA drive, boot from that, then use CCC and my working disk image to re-image my boot drive. Once I re-image my boot drive, I do an install using the stand-alone Chimera installer on my regular boot drive. Then reboot as normal.

Like everything, there are usually many different ways to do things.

Always good to have options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back