Contribute
Register

How much of all the fixes that MultiBeast/Clover apply by deault are necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock Z270X ITX Fatality
CPU
I7-7700K
Graphics
HD 630 + RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
======
*edit

The issue was twofold,
  1. multibeast generated a config list that used the long name versions of ACPI fixes (which are no longer required as of 4282 thanks to @RehabMan) and also includes some deprecated keys (KernelHaswellE)
  2. Clover configurator removes keys from config.plists if they are set to defaults (ie. ACPI fixes that are false) and had a problem parsing the long-name versions of the ACPI fixes, which lead it to replace all the fix keys set in by multibeast as a template (all set to false) with the 'friendly' name versions all set to true (checked in clover config)
Mackie has fixed it so that it no longer does (2), so all is well
============
Whenever you use Clover or MultiBeast to create the default config.plist file, it come loaded with a million patches and fixes. Is there a file that someone in the know made that allows a more barebones approach? Or should one just keep everything checked? I just started a new install with a new EFI partition and am trying to build one. For example, the attached one just boots fine.

Attachments

• barebones.plist.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Get Clover Configurator, make a backup of your working .plist, edit the main one and de-check all fixes, if you can boot ok then they are not necessary. For example I don't require any patches from the first page.

The Clover fixes in MultiBeast are the minimum required to get a working system.

Clover Configurator does add a bunch of unnecessary ones that can make a system unbeatable or unstable. Use it at your own risk.

Whenever you use clover or MultiBeast to create the default config.plist file, it come loaded with a million patches and fixes. Is there a file that someone in the know made that allows a more barebones approach? Or should one just keep everything checked? I just started a new install with a new EFI partition and am trying to build one. For example, the attached one just boots fine.
  • A practical way of considering the tools we use to build a Hackintosh may help us understand what they are capable of doing and how those are done.
  • MultiBeast = multi-function tool that still needs our active and thoughtful input in selection of menu options= Clover EFi installer+ Kext installer+ Customizer of Graphics+ Provider of System definitions of our choice.

• In a hurry, especially after a prolonged and frustrating installation, if we simply √ or click any and all options in MultiBeast and "build" and "install" without thinking about our system hardware (MoBo/CPU/Graphics) and the MacOS we are installing the MultiBeast on, the result we get cannot be pretty.
    • Blame is squarely on us, NOT on MultiBeast for wrecking our build at the last stage before its successful launch.
  • Know your hardware SPECS and macOS version you are installing to decide what in this great tool you need before using it.

• Similarly learn about Clover EFi Bootloader before using it.
    • This software has many folders with different contents and a configurable file called config.plist.
    • It is the user's responsibility to add to /verify the contents of its various folders , especially
      • kexts/Other ,
      • drivers64UEFI,
      • themes (not critical but affects the way the device e icons on the Clover Boot Manager spear to us).
  • This Clover EFI is released not Specifically for High Sierra ( 10.13.xx) but any of the prior macOS and OS X from 10.6 on to the current.
    • It is the User's responsibility to stock the right folder and
    • Remove the unwanted numbered folders that can create problem. Best thing for numbered folders is to "Send them to trash".
    • Whatever your OS version we are installing, just keeping kexts/Other with essential kexts will prevent a lot of boot issues from unwanted folders in the path of kext selection.
  • config.plist is entirely the user's responsibility. The very name suggests that.
    • The user has to configure the property list.
    • The various sections of config.plist like ACPI|Boot|Devices|Gui|Graphics||Kernel and Kext Patches|Rt Variables|SMBIOS|System Parameters
  • If Clover is an automobile heading toward the Installation screen carrying the USB installer disk as a passenger or System disk to its destination[the log in screen], config.plist is the driver who should know how to use this vehicle's various parts to safely reach the destination.
  • During this drive, Clover also gets directions from BIOS options.
  • It should be very clear that if there is a crash during boot , the areas to look are the BIOS options , The CLOVER/kexts/Other, CLOVER/drivers64UEFI, CLOVER/config.plist (or in short the whole CLOVER)
  • If Clover installations have automatically included many options √ in the various menu, it can cause boot problem.
  • As indicated above config.plist is USER RESPONSIBILITY.
  • For your initial build, you should know what is needed in config.plist.
  • If you reinstall the same on a different HDD , you can copy and paste the whole CLOVER or EFI folder in the new installation.

Hello @Obvious Answer Man and @cmn696 I don't mean clicking unneccessary things in MultiBeast, I meant the very config.plist that it outputs comes with all the various fixes pre-checked that might not be necessary.

Anyhow, I found the issue, it's Clover Configurator. Clover installer and MultiBeast use the new flags, Clover Config doesn't know how to read them and adds all the old flags back defaulted to true to the config list that MultiBeast and/or Clover generates, which makes the config.plist have every ACPI fix under the sun. I contacted the dev.

Last edited:
Hello @Obvious Answer Man and @cmn696 I don't mean clicking unnecessary things in MultiBeast, I meant the very config.plist that it outputs comes with all the various fixes pre-checked that might not be necessary.

Anyhow, I found the issue, it's clover configurator. Clover installer and MultiBeast use the new flags, clover config doesn't know how to read them nd adds all the old flags back defaulted to true to the config list that MultiBeast and/or clover generates, which makes the config.plist have every ACPI fix under the sun. I contacted the dev.

I don't mean clicking unneccessary things in MultiBeast, I meant the very config.plist that it outputs comes with all the various fixes pre-checked that might not be necessary.
Therefore to fix the issue caused by unwanted selection of options in config.plist either intentionally by the USER or by default by the installation tools what should an average user do?
My point is that despite using a tool like MultiBeast or Clover EFI bootloader installer with mouse clicks, we still need to manually check CLOVER contents, BIOS choices, make changes as required and then pick and choose in config.plist the needed options to work with those variables in kexts and BIOS. Otherwise, despite these good helper tools, we will face boot failure.
Clover Configurator Vibrant is mainly intended for readers who may not be up to speed in their use of XCODE or Plist Editor Pro to edit p.lists

Is there a file that someone in the know made that allows a more barebones approach?
If you 'fix' your DSDT you can use something like
Code:
<key>DSDT</key>
<dict>
            <key>FixMask</key>
            <string>0x00000000</string>
            <key>Name</key>
            <string>dsdt.aml</string>
</dict>
Without a 'fixed' DSDT you can probably still boot omitting the 'Fixes' dictionary from config.plist altogether, though certain fixes may still be applied without explicitly setting them to false. And depending on your firmware individual fixes may not actually do anything in any case.

I noticed that in MultiBeast all the ACPI fixes get marked .....
No, they don't. It's actually Clover Configurator that is marking all the fixes. That was my point from the post.

@cmn699 I am saying that, after recent findings regarding Clover Configurator, that MultiBeast has the right approach but the average -even the more savvy one who wants to use the SMBIOS generators conveniently built into Clover Configurator- user will never realize that their config.plist is going to be heavily modified by clover config just by opening it. The author of Clover Configurator should fix their software not to fill in all the fixes as true if they are not present.

No they don't it's actually clover configurator that is marking all the fixes, that was my point from the post.

@cmn699 I am saying that, after recent findings regarding Clover Configurator, that MultiBeast has the right approach but the average -even the more savvy one who wants to use the SMBIOS generators conveniently built into Clover Configurator - user will never realize that their config.plist is going to be heavily modified by Clover config just by opening it. The author of Clover Configurator should fix their software not to fill in all the fixes as true if they are not present.

Clover Configurator- user will never realize that their config.plist is going to be heavily modified by Clover Configurator just by opening it.

I have edited and helped others edit their config.plists using CCV lots of times and NEVER experienced what you have suggested in your post. Just opening the edited config using CCV DOES NOT change any of the edited options by the act of opening and viewing the various menus and saving them as they were and closing CCV.

If that happens the Software would never have got off the ground. As Clover EFI gets a new version so does CCV -almost several times a month.

I agree that if you open an unedited Config.plist in CCV, ACPI will have many Fixes √ as defaults that may adversely affect booting, the menu Rt Variables > CsrActiveConfig =0x3E7 needs to be changed also. Basically just like we make choice in MultiBeast or BIOS we have to make choices by removing some default options and enabling a few we want for our hardware to work smoothly in the Operating system.

Did Clover Configurator developer agree with your conclusion that it alters edited c.plits if just opened in that software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back